Audilble Illusions Compared to Transcendence 8

eparson

Audilble Illusions Compared to Transcendence 8
« on: 5 Apr 2008, 05:12 am »
I currently own an Audible illusions L1 linestage and have been considering replacing it with the T8.  Are there any current T8 owners who have had the chance to compare them with an Audible Illusions pre-amp?  I so, what were your impressions.  Thanks

everett

BrianM

Re: Audilble Illusions Compared to Transcendence 8
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2008, 11:39 am »
This is a bit removed, but I sold my old T6 to someone who was using an AI pre. He said that the T6 had more air and space, made the music float better, etc.

In other words, he was a happy buyer.   :wink:

If the T6 was better than the AI (which one?) I'd call that high praise, since I don't think I've ever read anything other than glowing reviews of the L1, which I gather has something of a giant-killer rep.  Needless to say, the current T8 would be quite a bit better than the T6.  Are you unhappy with the L1, or just have the itch?

eparson

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2008, 08:16 pm »
I am not unhappy with the my current AI L1, I have had this pre for several years and it has served me well.  I am just curious to know whether or not I can improve upon my current setup, and the T8 seemed to be a good candidate for consideration.....

retiredguy

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2008, 03:01 pm »
I sold an Audible Illusions L1 to finance the purchase of an AVA T8.  I had two complaints about the L1:  it was hard on tubes and it didn't have a remote control.  I have now had the T8 for a little over 2 years.  In my opinion the T8 is better than the L1 in every area.  I did not have any complaints about the sound of the L1, and did not replace it because I expected to improve upon it's sound quality.  I would have been satisfied if the T8 only sounded as good and was less expensive to operate.  Do a little research.  Find out the cost of a good matched pair of NOS 6922 or 7308 tubes.  I was replacing them every 12-18 months.  For comparison, I have over 2 years of use on one set of 12AT7 tubes.  And, it will cost much less to replace them when the need arises.  And, I have the convenience of remote control.  So if the T8 didn't sound better I would still be a happy camper.  But it does sound better.  The biggest improvements were in the areas of soundstage width and depth.  Since I purchased my T8, Frank has made changes in the wiring and the tubes.  He believes they are major improvements.  Perhaps they are, but I am happy enough with my T8 that I don't feel the need for further improvements.  I have no way of knowing what your experience might be, but for me the T8 was an improvement of the L1.