Signatures and Room

Afterimage

Signatures and Room
« on: 3 Apr 2008, 11:34 pm »
I have my main  system in the basement and I have another system in our bedroom.  In The bedroom all the components/speakers sound way better than my basement room.  I can pluck a pair of speakers down in my bedroom without any effort in setup and they will sound good.  In the basement, I have to put a lot of work into setup, room treatments, match components ect.. to get good sound, but it still does not match my bedroom.  The basement room is 14ft by 21 ft long, and 8 feet high, not bad dimensions, but for some reason it does not have good accoustics.  Don't get my wrong, my system sounds great, but it took some work and I think it should sound a lot better given the components I have and the work I have done with room treatments.  Goes to show how much of an impact the type of room has on the sound.  Unfortunately, I can only listen to my bedroom system when the wife and kids are away, so the basement is my main listening room, mostly done after 9 pm.  I have the Signature 70.2 monos on order.  My question is, can these amplifiers help hide the sins of my room?  In other words, depsite not having the best room to work with,  will these amplifiers improve the soundstage, liveliness, imaging, ect...

cfcjb

Re: Signatures and Room
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2008, 01:17 am »
If the issue is of an electrical nature, then yes.
If it is strictly a matter of room interaction, I wouldn't think so.

R,
J.

CSI

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2008, 06:09 pm »
Having just spent two weeks breaking in a Sig 30.2 in a "difficult" room I can attest that the RWA amps you have on order will probably do all the things you mention in your last sentence. However, you should never expect any piece of gear to "fix" room problems. One thing you might check in your basement room is to be sure that, in treating it, you didn't dampen it too much. Particularly if you are missing bass impact or there is still a "liveliness" issue after the RWA's are in place. When you get your new amps, break them in then, for grins, try them in the bedroom system too. Let us know if they sound even better there.

Bill

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2008, 01:13 pm »
Hi Afterimage,

I agree with both cfcjb and CSI (thanks, guys!).

Best regards,

Vinnie