In-wall Speakers?

Hank Rearden

In-wall Speakers?
« on: 13 Oct 2003, 10:22 am »
I am trying to help a friend find two pair of in-wall speakers for his new house & HT system. They can be any size because they are being custom installed however he can only spend $700 for both pair. He will have 18ft cathedrsl ceilings and the room will be 18ft x 15ft. He will use an existing VMPS center channel and sub. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I heard Madisound offered in-wall's? But I did not see them on their website.

ehider

In-wall Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2003, 06:19 pm »
I think you'll find that excellent sounding in-wall speakers are veeeery hard to find anywhere near that budget. Most inwall speakers at that price have all sorts of sonic issues and drawbacks as compared to a decent floor stander at the same price (or even half the price of the inwall for that matter :o ).

I spent quite a bit of time helping a buddy do the same thing, same price and we ended up getting Parasound's inwall speakers. IMHO they have better drivers and crossovers than anything else near their price Points ($400 -$650) and can be found at 40% off around the net :P . I think Parasound is no longer making these so this is why they were selling so cheap.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
In-wall Speakers?
« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2003, 06:49 pm »
Also, because of the cathedral thing going on he may have other issues, depending on how much of a cathedral it is.

In one Audio/HT shop they had a scaffolding-thing to hang speakers on, to get the surround speakers near the listening position. Basically trying to get back to a near-field situation to overcome the large room the shop had up front.

Hank Rearden

In-wall Speakers?
« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2003, 08:17 pm »
Unfortunately, I agree. This will be a difficult challange. I have tried to convince him that he is limiting his HT options dramatically. Apparently the issue resides with the wife. She is insisting the speakers be in-wall. Oh well. I check around and see if I can find some Parasound's. Thanks for your help.

JoshK

In-wall Speakers?
« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2003, 08:52 pm »
Maybe he needs to upgrade his wife first?  j/k, I understand and empathize!

John Casler

Re: In-wall Speakers?
« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2003, 09:22 pm »
Quote from: Hank Rearden
I am trying to help a friend find two pair of in-wall speakers for his new house & HT system. They can be any size because they are being custom installed however he can only spend $700 for both pair. He will have 18ft cathedrsl ceilings and the room will be 18ft x 15ft. He will use an existing VMPS center channel and sub. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The M&K SW85 is in that price bracket http://www.mksound.com/inwall.html

The Triad InWall Bronze 4 is probably a good match and is around $700 a pair. http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/iwb4sur.html

I have used both with a couple clients and would probably lean toward the Triad for HT and the M&K for multichannel music.

bubba966

In-wall Speakers?
« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2003, 12:15 am »
Well, I was going to suggest M&K's, but John beat me to it.

So I'll just second the suggestion... :wink:  :lol: