Sound card recommendations

Tubes 4 Ever

Sound card recommendations
« on: 31 Mar 2008, 11:50 am »
Can anyone recommend a good sound card to use as an interface between computer and audio system. I was consiodering buying a usb/dac but I have some pretty nice dac's already and I hate to chuck them or try to sell if I can find a card to provide me with the interface. At any rate any suggestions?
Tim

Crimson

Re: Sound card recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2008, 11:58 am »
Can anyone recommend a good sound card to use as an interface between computer and audio system. I was consiodering buying a usb/dac but I have some pretty nice dac's already and I hate to chuck them or try to sell if I can find a card to provide me with the interface. At any rate any suggestions?
Tim

Being that you already have some dacs, you may want to consider a USB-SPDIF converter. Hagerman Technology, Trends Audio, and M-Audio make some pretty popular converters and all are reasonably priced. Also, assuming you're using a Mac, you could use the built-in TOSLINK port to connect to your dac.

Tubes 4 Ever

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2008, 12:08 pm »
Cool I will check them out, I am using MAC

Tubes 4 Ever

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2008, 02:47 am »
I finally managed to get my G4 running as a server. Bought a Behringer USB interface for about $30 and hooked up my PS Audio DAC and wow, forget the cd player. Now I have a reson to commit my cd's to the hard drive. I am an old fart and this is probably the best $30 I ever spent on audio. if anyone is interested here is the link for the interface.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUCA202

peranders

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2008, 08:30 pm »
deleted....

chrisby

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2008, 06:24 pm »
I finally managed to get my G4 running as a server. Bought a Behringer USB interface for about $30 and hooked up my PS Audio DAC and wow, forget the cd player. Now I have a reson to commit my cd's to the hard drive. I am an old fart and this is probably the best $30 I ever spent on audio. if anyone is interested here is the link for the interface.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUCA202

This may be a bit late to the dance, but if you haven't already invested the time to rip all your discs to the 'mac, you might really want to consider the Ultra Bit Premium product that Ed Schilling is selling.  Damn, but this stuff works, and with an even half way decent interface between your 'puter and audio rig, I guarantee you'll hear the improvement.