RWA and Merlin

cruz123

RWA and Merlin
« on: 30 Mar 2008, 02:45 pm »
Is anyone using the RWA amps with the Merlin TSM monitor speakers?   I have the TSM-MMe's and like them a ton.    I am intrigued by the RWA amps, but I'm not confident that they would drive the Merlins to satisfartory levels in my 11 x 22 room.    Anyone here have this combo?     FYI, I'm currently using a Cary SLI-80 that makes 40w in triode mode and 80w in ultralinear.  The Cary will drive the Merlins OK in either mode, though I do find I tend to prefer the greater impact of the ultralinear mode.    I love the Cary, but am intrigued by the "off the grid" approach.

Any feed back would be appreciated.     Thanks

fly_fish_nz

Re: RWA and Merlin
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2008, 09:47 pm »
Hi,

I recently purchased a Sig 30 that I am using with my Merlin VSM-MM's - sounds great so far, and though I haven't started comparing to my existing equipment to decide which will stay, I haven't turned the attenuator past 11 am yet.  If you are interested, let me know how far from the speakers your listening spot is and I'll measure the sound level at a few spots on the Sig 30's attenuator - not perfect since rooms are similar but different, but it should give you an idea about how well the Sig will drive Merlins in general.

kyyuan

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2008, 03:37 am »
Hi,

I recently purchased a Sig 30 that I am using with my Merlin VSM-MM's - sounds great so far, and though I haven't started comparing to my existing equipment to decide which will stay, I haven't turned the attenuator past 11 am yet.  If you are interested, let me know how far from the speakers your listening spot is and I'll measure the sound level at a few spots on the Sig 30's attenuator - not perfect since rooms are similar but different, but it should give you an idea about how well the Sig will drive Merlins in general.

Please keep us posted.  I own Merlin VSM-MXes.

cruz123

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2008, 10:28 pm »
Fly Fish, sorry for the tardy reply and thanks for the offer.    I sit about 9.5 feet away with the TSM's spaced about 6.5 feet apart, which Bobby P's suggested distances.  So how do the like the RWA/Merlin combo so far?

Thanks

fly_fish_nz

« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2008, 08:20 pm »
Had a chance to dig out my radio shack sound level meter and make some measurements.  Since CD's can vary dramatically in average volume level, I used the 260hz track from the test CD at Realtraps.com, which you can download and burn easily for comparison.  At 9.5 feet from the center point between the VSM-MM's the levels in my room (approx. 19 X 11 feet) were:

at volume level   4 of 24 on the Sig 30:  63db
at volume level   8 of 24 on the Sig 30:  74db
at volume level 12 of 24 on the Sig 30:  83db  (half way point on volume control)
at volume level 16 of 24 on the Sig 30:  90db
at volume level 16 of 24 on the Sig 30:  95db

The player used outputs 2.3 V RMS.

In casual listening the amp sounds great so far with the VSM-MM's, plenty of punch, detail, and a quiet background.  I haven't had a chance to compare to my system's amp and pre yet - hopefully this week.