The best pre-amp for the RM-9 ???

viny*loco

The best pre-amp for the RM-9 ???
« on: 30 Mar 2008, 09:56 am »
Hi my friends
this post goes to the RM-9 or RM-9MKII owners (or who wants leave his opinion...)

what pre-amp is the best option ?

take care friends!

~ Long life to Vinyl ~!!!  :drums:

Macezeke

Re: The best pre-amp for the RM-9 ???
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2008, 02:24 pm »
Hi, there.

If you are as much of a vinyl lover as your moniker suggests, I can give a whole hearted recommendation for Mark Deneen's Juicy Music Blueberry Xtreme with the LOMC "Cream" option. The Blueberry has an excellent synergy with the RM-9 and provides to two turntables being connected at the same time.

However, if you have already have a phono stage that you're happy with, then consider the Juicy Music Peach Linestage. Either will serve your needs quite well.

Hope this helps,

Mac

viny*loco

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2008, 02:57 am »
Yes my dear Mac,  I play almost 90% of vinyl and 10% Cd's and reel to reel...
Thanks for your recommendation...
what is your configuration? and what kind of music you play?
take care!

Long life to vinyl!
Vinyl*loco

Macezeke

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2008, 12:05 pm »
Hi, V*L.

You're welcome. In my setup I'm running a Technics SP-25 TT with an SME 309 arm and Denon DL-103D cart along with a Sony XA7ES CDP into the Blueberry Xtreme. Then I have a pair of JM Lab Cobalt 820s strapped to the RM-9 via Luminous Audio Synchestra Signature speaker cables.

As far as music, I mostly listen to jazz with healthy doses of rock, R&B, and classical thrown in for good measure. Oh, almost forgot, I'm running the RM-9 with an octet of JJ E34Ls. These really gives me a full, but firm, bottom end while maintaining a sweet midrange as well as a nicely extended treble. I really love this amp and if I ever replace it, it'll be another one of Roger's creations.

Mac

IkeH

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2008, 01:12 pm »
 I use RM-5 (mine is the II) with my RM-9.  They are excellent match.  RM-5 has an excellent phono section as well.

viny*loco

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2008, 02:31 am »
thanks Ikeh!

I had tired this pre:

Nakamichi CA5MKII - very good soundstage and focused but a little hard
Anthem Pre1 - beautiful sound very detailed and sweet... I love this pre...
Margules SF220r - detailed and fast
RM5MKII - nice response and detail but to many brillant for me...
Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 - nice as the Anthem but more detailed and with full body ...3D

but i will continue my nirvana...now i want try the new C4 of Roger...

i need more opinions please come on MR9 lovers !!!

Ericus Rex

« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2008, 02:08 pm »
I've got an RM-5 III and a Counterpoint SA-5.1.  Both of them are great with my RM-9.  If you didn't like the RM5 in your system you may want to try the SA5.1 if you can find one.  I'd say it has a heftier low end and is perhaps a bit mellower overall with a deeper soundstage (if you're into that sort of thing).  I won't say it is any better than the RM-5, just different.  I usually have the RM5 hooked up more than the SA5.1 but maybe my tastes are just different from yours.  Good luck in your search!

rbwalt

« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2008, 02:25 pm »
well i had a RM9MK2 and used a RM5Mk2 for a long time. the RM5 was nice . now i have a RM9SE and  i am using a joule electra La-150MK2 line stage and it is fantastic! the La-150MK2 with the phono section is also fantastic. either way it is easily one of the very best you can buy.

r. walters

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2008, 04:11 am »
The RM-5 is a preamp I am proud of in all its variations. The circuit is the same in all versions, just the jacks and a few added features to the MK IV are different.

We offer the RM-5 phono stage in the RM-4 box as the RM4 +. For a line preamp I encourage you to look at the C-4 with its many options. My new tone control design brings added enjoyment without the coloration usually associated with tone controls. Instead of a tone control bypass I have devised a tone control "float" switch. I can give you a list of reasons why careful listeners abandoned tone controls in the past. These tone controls are new from the ground up. In the process of developing them I took a good look at traditional tone controls and it is clear to me why they were abandoned.

pubul57

« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2008, 08:44 pm »
Are you saying that the active C4 will sound better than the passive Pot-in-a-Box? In the context of a single digital source.

IkeH

« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2008, 06:18 pm »
Are you saying that the active C4 will sound better than the passive Pot-in-a-Box? In the context of a single digital source.

I first purchased Pot-in-a-box then upgraded to C4 (with tone controls).  I really like the sound of C4 much better.  I was actually quite surprised myself.

viny*loco

« Reply #11 on: 15 Apr 2008, 04:35 am »
ok Roger... could you explain me a little about tone controls please?
why you have add this to the C4? and what is the difference between yours and the old ones?
thanks!

Vinyl*loco