A couple of questions concerning the HagUsb??

Julien43

A couple of questions concerning the HagUsb??
« on: 29 Mar 2008, 02:38 pm »
Hello Jim

1) Can you tell me if there is a jitter level difference between the SPDIF and AES/EBU outputs?

2) What is the maximum length USB cable going to the HagUsb that you'd recommend?

Much Thanks!
Julien

hagtech

Re: A couple of questions concerning the HagUsb??
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2008, 04:49 pm »
Outputs are the same, only differ in impedance and amplitude.  You can run up to 16 feet USB cable.

jh

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2008, 06:52 pm »
You can run up to 16 feet USB cable.

jh

My pre-amp and DAC is 30' from my computer, so I am currently running a 16' USB cable plugged into an USB 2.0 active extension/repeater cable and everything seems to work just fine. I finish up the connection with a meter length of DH Labs D-75 digital coax from the HagUSB to the DAC.

Would I be better off running 50' Coaxial Audio/Video RCA Cable M/M RG59U 75ohm (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer & Composite Video) for around $10 or 10 meters of DH Labs D-75 for $210, or some other combination of SPDIF/USB cable I dunno?  :dunno:

Opinions?

wgh
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2008, 07:28 pm by WGH »

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2008, 07:34 am »
You would be MUCH better off with no extensions on USB cable, run the SPDIF as long as you can.

jh

riffer

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2008, 11:30 pm »
You would be MUCH better off with no extensions on USB cable, run the SPDIF as long as you can.

jh

That's what I did.  6' USB & 20' RCA Coax (Blue Jean's Cable Belden 1694A with Canare RCA's).

When I had a USB DAC I was using one of those USB repeater cables and it was a real headache.  For some reason the thing would "turn off" when I wasn't using it and I would have to jump through hoops to restart it.  Most times I had to also crawl behind the computer to unplug then replug.  Just a hassle.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2008, 01:33 am »

That's what I did.  6' USB & 20' RCA Coax (Blue Jean's Cable Belden 1694A with Canare RCA's).

BJ Cables look like the best affordable solution. Did you notice any change in the sound, imaging, or soundstage after the switch? Even with 30' of USB cable my HagUSB stays locked on all the time. But I am always looking for better sound.

wgh

riffer

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2008, 01:49 pm »

BJ Cables look like the best affordable solution. Did you notice any change in the sound, imaging, or soundstage after the switch? Even with 30' of USB cable my HagUSB stays locked on all the time. But I am always looking for better sound.

wgh

It was a completely different setup - from a Stereo-link USB DAC to the Hag USB into a Slimdevices Transporter, so I can't really compare.  I think my problem may have been linked to the fact that I use Standby a lot when I am not using my computer.  Needless to say, the second setup is far superior, though the Stereo-link is amazing for the price.

On the Blue Jeans Cables - I have replaced all my Digital, Video and RF Cables with them, including some quite expensive ones, and I am very happy.

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2008, 02:30 pm »
Thanks riffer.

wgh