36.5 shipping today!

rydenfan

36.5 shipping today!
« on: 26 Mar 2008, 02:00 pm »
My 36.5 is shipping out today and I am really excited! I cannot wait to hear how the combination of Dan's Transporter and the 36.5 sound together.  :D

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: 36.5 shipping today!
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2008, 02:12 pm »
David,
As you are well aware, the caps in that 36.5 are significant, so give it a couple hundred hours to really settle in.  Less so for the TP, but some break-in nonetheless.  As per your email, the bass imapct and tone will change a few times during the process.  Enjoy!! :thumb:

rydenfan

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2008, 03:17 pm »
Thanks for the advice Ted.  It looks like I will have a long weekend of listening ahead of me.  :drool:

rydenfan

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2008, 01:34 pm »
I am kind of nervous right now. My 36.5 is supposed to arrive today as it was sent with 2 day shipping, but when I track it on UPS the last scan is from 3/26 at 11:00 PM in Portland, Oregon  :bawl:

I sure hope it arrives and they just did not scan it or something, but somehow I feel that will not be the case...

AB

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2008, 02:41 pm »
Call UPS and ask for a trace. They have more info than what appears on the web - usually.
I wouldn't be able to just wait and see either.

rydenfan

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2008, 03:33 pm »
Call UPS and ask for a trace. They have more info than what appears on the web - usually.
I wouldn't be able to just wait and see either.

I have already done that and they arer showing the same info!

My UPS drive shows up at my facility before noon, so I guess I will know soon enough  :?

rydenfan

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2008, 03:56 pm »
It's Here!!  :drool:

PHEW. My driver was totally shocked it had not been scanned for 2 days. All that matters is that it is here  :beer:

If only I did not have to work all day. I will post some pics when I get home tonight.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2008, 07:55 pm »
Thanks for the advice Ted.  It looks like I will have a long weekend of listening ahead of me

It's going to take more than a weekend to burn in the 36.5. High value capacitors in a low voltage application (preamp) take forever to properly break in. A true, critical evaluation cannot be done for at least 500 hours.  :duh:  If you don't believe me, just wait.....you'll see :wink: It will however sound really nice after the weekend but keep in mind it will get much better.

After that, you will have reach sonic nirvana. It's a great piece. Enjoy :thumb:

rydenfan

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2008, 08:05 pm »
Thanks for the advice Ted.  It looks like I will have a long weekend of listening ahead of me

It's going to take more than a weekend to burn in the 36.5. High value capacitors in a low voltage application (preamp) take forever to properly break in. A true, critical evaluation cannot be done for at least 500 hours.  :duh:  If you don't believe me, just wait.....you'll see :wink: It will however sound really nice after the weekend but keep in mind it will get much better.

After that, you will have reach sonic nirvana. It's a great piece. Enjoy :thumb:

I look forward to hearing the evolution. I have it feeling it will sound mighty find even fresh out of the box  :D

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2008, 08:25 pm »
David,
Congrats. 

Welcome to the "Modwright Transporter feeds the Modwright LS 36.5 Club" !!!  :thumb:

:wine:

rydenfan

« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2008, 08:39 pm »
David,
Congrats. 

Welcome to the "Modwright Transporter feeds the Modwright LS 36.5 Club" !!!  :thumb:

:wine:

Thanks buddy! I am pretty damn excited about it!  I think it is a pretty good club to be in :thumb:

Now I just need work to end so I can go get it setup. The day really drags when you have a new line stage sitting in your car  :wink:

rydenfan

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2008, 01:14 pm »
To all Modwright owners and fans, I have posted my initial thoughts on the 36.5 over at AVS. Modwright does not get talked about much over there and I thought this would be a perfect opportunity. I hope you guys will join in  :thumb:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1013221

mr_bill

« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2008, 02:19 pm »
Mr. Rydenfan,
I know that you also have the ModWright Transporter which has the big analog output stage added with tubes etc similiar to the 36.5.
Have you compared driving your amps directly with the ModWright Transporter versus the preamp added 36.5?
I would enjoy hearing what you have found and maybe the key to the claimed improvement in sound of the ModWright Transporter has more to do with the redesign of the output stage and power supply which really ups its performance over the stock unit in its ability to drive amps directly?
Thanks,
Bill

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2008, 02:49 pm »
As he stated on AVS, and as I've stated here a couple of times, it seems subtraction by addition is working here.  Both David and I much much prefer the LS 36.5 in between the Modwright TP and the amp, in my case a McCormack DNA-500.  Whether it's the additional tube stage, the gain, the impedance, the fact that we don't use the TP's volume control....dunno yet really, but the magic is more there with the LS 36.5 in line.  IMO, it's a bit more dynamic, way more fluid and full weight, and overall more PRAT or musical toe-tapping quality.  Bass is deeper, too, with only a .005% (being facetious) loss in bass control or tautness.  And last but not least, the holy grail of the frequency curve, the upper and mid midrange, has better tone.

Now, all that being said, the Modwright TP straight to an amp is very very good.  The resolution is jaw-dropping, and with the right amp(s) would likely stand up perfectly to any state-of-the-art combo in existence.  But, with my system, the LS 36.5 (mine is two box with outboard PS) adds significantly, not subtracts.

rydenfan

« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2008, 10:20 pm »
Mr. Rydenfan,
I know that you also have the ModWright Transporter which has the big analog output stage added with tubes etc similiar to the 36.5.
Have you compared driving your amps directly with the ModWright Transporter versus the preamp added 36.5?
I would enjoy hearing what you have found and maybe the key to the claimed improvement in sound of the ModWright Transporter has more to do with the redesign of the output stage and power supply which really ups its performance over the stock unit in its ability to drive amps directly?
Thanks,
Bill

I think my review on AVS says it all  :thumb:

There is no doubt that the Modwright Transporter driven directly to amps is amazing, but everything you enjoy about the sound is magnified with the addition of the 36.5. Please take a minute and read my review and then I would be happy to answer any other questions you have.

modwright

« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2008, 01:13 am »
Thank you Rydenfan, your post on the AVS forum was very thorough, informative and much appreciated.  The statement that you made that strikes me most, is the fact that now you find yourself just sitting down and ENJOYING THE MUSIC.  If there is one thing that our gear does best, is to bring the owner the ultimate in musical enjoyment.  Music should be enjoyed!

Thanks and take care,

Dan W.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2009, 07:36 pm by modwright »

rydenfan

« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2008, 01:58 am »
I am thrilled you like the review, Dan. I will continue to update that thread with my progress and impressions. I will let people here know as well, but I do hope to raise Modwright's presence on AVS and hope others will chime in.

Every moment that I have spent listening to the 36.5 has brought me sheer joy and has my truly engrossed me in my music collection. I am more invigorated to listen to music than I have been in quite some time. Thank you for that  :thumb:

mr_bill

« Reply #17 on: 30 Mar 2008, 02:48 am »
Mr. Rydenfan,
Thanks,
Bill

I think my review on AVS says it all  :thumb:

There is no doubt that the Modwright Transporter driven directly to amps is amazing, but everything you enjoy about the sound is magnified with the addition of the 36.5. Please take a minute and read my review and then I would be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Yes, I read the review before making the post, thus the question.  Nice pics and thanks for sharing your story.

Dan does some excellent work.

rydenfan

« Reply #18 on: 31 Mar 2008, 01:05 am »
So, when you add a statement piece like the 36.5 is quickly highlights the weak areas of your system. For me, it was the Cary Cinema 5 amp. As good as this amp is, it is still a multi-channel and thus has a different goal in mind. Kind of like the difference between using a SSP for your 2 channel listening and a dedicated Line Stage  :icon_lol:

So, the Cinema 5 is now sold and a McCormack DNA-500 is on it's way  :drool: I have always been a huge fan of Steve's gear, having owned the UDP-1 Deluxe for awhile, and am very excited to get this amp. The only downside is I feel like a clone of Ted_b   :lol:

At least I had discovered Synergistic on my own  :icon_lol:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 31 Mar 2008, 01:15 am »
I've always wanted a younger brother I could show the ropes to.   :lol:

You'll love the DNA-500 David....but you knew I would say that.  :D