SB3 Power Supply Needed if I have a Power Conditioner?

calbear81

Excuse my ignorance but I've decided on buying a Squeezebox and I know everyone recommends a linear or upgraded power supply for this puppy.

My question is I have an APC H10 (http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=H10&tab=models) which does filtering for my plasma and amp.  If I plugged the SB3 into this, would this negate the need to get a juiced up wall wart?

I'm going from the SB3 to a Primare I21 Integrated running Focal 807V speakers.

Thanks!

tanchiro58

Re: SB3 Power Supply Needed if I have a Power Conditioner?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2008, 05:57 am »
Excuse my ignorance but I've decided on buying a Squeezebox and I know everyone recommends a linear or upgraded power supply for this puppy.

My question is I have an APC H10 (http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=H10&tab=models) which does filtering for my plasma and amp.  If I plugged the SB3 into this, would this negate the need to get a juiced up wall wart?

I'm going from the SB3 to a Primare I21 Integrated running Focal 807V speakers.

Thanks!

Would sound okay but not as good as a linear PS? The stock walwart is a switching PS which sounds better if it is connected to a Felix.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2008, 12:01 pm »
A couple of years back, we did some power conditioner and SB power supply comparisons.  A power regenerator definitely improved the performance of SB with the stock SMPS but a lab grade industrial PS and the original Bolder UPS (both linear) handily beat it. 

kyrill

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2008, 05:30 pm »
if you filter the AC b e f o r e the standard PWS you help the PWS with its very poor EMI/RFI suppression (if any) BUT
the awful negative effects of the Switching PWS itself happily enter the SB3 unhindered.

So a filter a f t e r the switching PWS will be VERY beneficial.
A very good and affordable filter in the 5V line of the (standard) switching PWS is the Felix
but then you do not protect  the rest of the system from the SW PWS
SO try with two Felixes on in front, one behind the PWS
« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2008, 05:13 pm by kyrill »