Macbook Internet Connection Help

Nels Ferre

Macbook Internet Connection Help
« on: 23 Mar 2008, 09:37 pm »
Hi All,

When my wife's Macbook was first set up, it would automatically log on to our wireless network any time it was turned on.  After I did a software update (I don't remember which one) the network must be manually selected everytime it is switched on.

I'd like to revert to the way it was out of the box, but I don't know how. I'm not "Mac Smart."

Thanks,
Nels

Crimson

Re: Macbook Internet Connection Help
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2008, 10:40 pm »
OK. Make sure your MacBook is on and connected to your wireless network. Now, click on Network in System Preferences. Do the following:

-Make sure that 'Airport' is highlighted in the list of network connections on the left-hand side.
-Make sure that your network is selected in the 'Network Name' drop-down menu.
-Make sure 'Ask to join new networks' and 'Show AirPort status in menu bar' are checked.
-Now click on 'Advanced'
-Click on 'AirPort'
-Make sure your network is listed in 'Preferred Networks'. If not, add it by clicking on the little '+' button.
-Check 'Remember any network this computer has joined', and uncheck everything else.
-Click OK.
-Run 'Software Update' to make sure you have the latest AirPort updates (if any).
-Close all programs and reboot.

This should fix the problem. If not, I'll need more info: OS version, router, security, whether it's an open or closed network etc.