USB Flash Drive Issue

John151

USB Flash Drive Issue
« on: 22 Mar 2008, 07:26 pm »
When I plug a flash drive into the USB port on my Keyboard, I get a "USB Low Power Notice", indicating that there is not enough power in the USB port to power the device.  The drive works fine if I plug it into one of the ports on the back of the Mac (Mini).  This is very frustrating because the Mac Mini has only two USB ports on the back, which I use for the keyboard and the printer, and they are also inconveniently located (what was apple thinking when they chose to put them in the back like that?). 

Anyone else have this issue?  Any thoughts for a solution?

GerryD

Re: USB Flash Drive Issue
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2008, 09:26 pm »
Have you tried to use it anyway?  I have an older iMac and use flash drive in the keyboard slot to move music files with no problem.

avta

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2008, 09:46 pm »
Me too..I use a usb drive attached to one of the two usb slots on an Apple wired keyboard. No problems. Mac Mini G4. What keyboard are you using?

davidldl

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2008, 10:05 pm »
USB hubs can be powered or unpowered as I understand it.  I would look into getting a powered usb hub. 

If you plug in a usb device into the front of the.  It might not be getting the same power as the usb device in the back of the computer. 

I had a Dell monitor that had a usb hub, with two connections. A flash drive would work on one but not the other.  I did a search to find out why.....

Take a look at this article to learn more....

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/usb2.htm
http://theappleblog.com/community/hardware/272-powered-vs-unpowered-usb-hubs/

You may be plugging your device into an unpowered hub.  I've seen usb-extension cord length make a difference too.  Keep your cables shorter to have better reliability.

David

davidldl

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2008, 10:16 pm »
Here is a forum talking about powered vs unpowered hub for the mac.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=141667

David

John151

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2008, 11:25 pm »
My keyboard is wired, and is from Apple - just purchased from an Apple store a week ago.  I previously had a wireless Apple keyboard, but found I could not live w/o some of the keys that it is missing (delete, home, end, page up, page down).  Not sure what Apple was thinking when they decided to nix those keys.  As a PC convert, I simply can not live w/o those keys! 

The USB drive does NOT show up in the Finder, so I am not able to use it. 

I have tried two USB flash drives, both from SanDisk.  I think part of the problem is that they illuminate when plugged in - if not for the stupid light, I probably would not have a power issue.

I really wish Apple had put a USB port on the front of the Mini.   Seems like a design mistake to me.  Perhaps they didn't see the need since they have two built into the keyboard. 

My issue with a USB port is the clutter.  I love how clean and simple the Mini is, and hate to add any clutter.  Belkin makes a neat USB port that fits under the Mini - however, it is not powered, so I don't think it will solve my problem.   I also found this unit http://www.macessity.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=29788, which is powered, but does NOT have any ports in the back.  Because the Mini only has two rear ports, I would have to plug my printer or keyboard into the front of this.  That is not an option.

This just seems like a really stupid problem to have, especailly given the sleek design of the Mini. 

Perhaps if I add a powered USB port, conceal it, and plug the keyboard into that unit, the keyboard ports will work with the flash drives.    This should provide a clutter free solution. 

davidldl

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2008, 03:02 am »
Here is a usb hub that Belkin makes that is supposed to be the same footprint as the mac mini.
It looks like it was made to stack with the mini and has front and back ports (2 front , 2 back)

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-Mini-USB-2-0-4PT/dp/B0009VU7BM

David

avta

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2008, 04:07 am »
John:
The usb drive is supposed to light up. That would suggest to me that it's connected. Here's what I did with mine. First plug it into the usb slot in the keyboard. Put in your startup disk. The one that came with the computer. Restart the computer. As soon as the startup sound occurs hold down the  "C " key until the spinning wheel starts. After the computer starts go to Applications, then Utilities, then Disk Utility. You should see the flash drive listed on the left. Select it and then select Partition. Choose to have one partition for the usb drive. I think that after you partition the flash drive it will be recognized by the computer.