32 Bit Oppo players......Oh Boy!

Ric Schultz

32 Bit Oppo players......Oh Boy!
« on: 22 Mar 2008, 06:20 pm »
Yes, I have surgically inserted a 32 bit AKM4397 DAC into my Oppo 980.  After a few tweaks, it is simply amazing.  And no Superclock in the Oppo!!!!  I will be adding the Superclock this next week and then.........the top secret ingredient coming after that.  I expect the fully modded 32 bit Oppo to beat any player under $10,000......he he.

Right now listening to the DAC with no output stage.  One volt RMS coming directly through one resistor and one coupling cap straight out.  Won't work in every passive based system this way but works in mine.  My speakers are 89db and my amp is 26db gain and I get very high 90dbs in my room......of course, some CDs are not that loud. 

Of course, I will be putting these DACs into the new Oppo 983.  However, there is more room in the 980 for serious mods and there is no reason a modded 983 should sound better......though it does have better video.

Pricing for what I have done so far is around $600.  I have added an aluminum plate underneath the chassis that adds about 2.25lbs and allows the use of any kind of footer.  Sounds much better.....add about $350 more for Superclock and ? more for the secret ingredient (yes, I will let you know what it is.....when it is ready).  Other more far out mods will be available too.  All to be revealed in the next two weeks.

32 bit Squeezeboxes coming soon too...........SB2, SB3, Duet and Transporter....will all be transformed into Sonic wonders.....way better than any other mod/DAC solution.  DAC chip will be hardwired to the inside of the Squeezebox using I2S, not SPDIF. (See post in the Industry Talk and Events forum).

Website is now functional.
« Last Edit: 2 Apr 2008, 02:07 am by Ric Schultz »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: 32 Bit Oppo player......Oh Boy!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2008, 03:45 am »
Ric,
Will the new AKM4397 DAC do multichannel hirez?  Will it still allow HDMI as a transport/output path, or is this just to the analog stage in the Oppo?

Ric Schultz

Re: 32 Bit Oppo player......Oh Boy!
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2008, 06:27 pm »
The AK4397 is a stereo DAC.  The front main channels are being replaced by it.  The basic DAC is still in the player so multichannel hi-rez is available on the analog outs (those outputs can be modified for better sound) and the HDMI out works the same as stock.  However, the front 2 channels do sound slightly better if the main DAC is actually disconnected (for the purest 2 channel sound).  This is the way I am currently listening to it.  Personally, not into surround.

sjd

Re: 32 Bit Oppo players......Oh Boy!
« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2008, 01:55 am »
Did someone say Millenium 32?    :drool: