Updates available for Time Machine, Time Capsule, and AE Base Station.

Crimson

A software update is available for Time Machine (via Software Update), and firmware updates are available for both the Time Capsule and Airport Extreme Base Stations (via Airport Utility v5.3.1). Seems they have added the ability to use Time Machine with a USB-connected hard drive to the AEBS, as well as a few other bug-fixes. From reviews I've read, only attempt to do a Time Machine backup from scratch using this new configuration, as it will not recognize existing backup files.

Double Ugly

A software update is available for Time Machine (via Software Update), and firmware updates are available for both the Time Capsule and Airport Extreme Base Stations (via Airport Utility v5.3.1). Seems they have added the ability to use Time Machine with a USB-connected hard drive to the AEBS, as well as a few other bug-fixes. From reviews I've read, only attempt to do a Time Machine backup from scratch using this new configuration, as it will not recognize existing backup files.

Outstanding info, Crimson.  I had my system set up to automatically check for updates weekly, and checked manually several days between.  But now you've shamed me into changing my automatic checks to daily.  :wink:

The ability to add a USB hard drive is a nice update (hmmm... daisy chain, too?) , but I've not looked deeply into the other bugs.  Hopefully the "compatibility improvements" will address the rather bitter complaints a few have with the AEBS.

kbuzz3

<<<<<<<"bitter complaints I have with the AEBS."

So can anyone confirm whether the firm ware for the AEBS is a new release today and address the hard disk dropouts most of have with the usb ports on the aebs.  Also any link to the update?

Double Ugly

Just so there's no misunderstanding, you didn't even enter my mind when I posted, kbuzz.  I was actually thinking of the 1-star raters on Mac's website.

'Course, you may be one of 'em.  :lol:

Crimson

So can anyone confirm whether the firm ware for the AEBS is a new release today and address the hard disk dropouts most of have with the usb ports on the aebs.  Also any link to the update?

Yes, it's a new release (v7.3.1). More info:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

kbuzz3

Just so there's no misunderstanding, you didn't even enter my mind when I posted, kbuzz.  I was actually thinking of the 1-star raters on Mac's website.

'Course, you may be one of 'em.  :lol:
[/quot

lol---glad for your post!!!

Loftprojection

From reviews I've read, only attempt to do a Time Machine backup from scratch using this new configuration, as it will not recognize existing backup files.

Hello Crimson, as far as you know, would that mean that I should delete the backup file that is on my Time Capsule currently so that Time Machine takes a brand new complete backup of my Macbook? 

Thanks for your advice on this, I'll download the fix right away

Crimson

From reviews I've read, only attempt to do a Time Machine backup from scratch using this new configuration, as it will not recognize existing backup files.

Hello Crimson, as far as you know, would that mean that I should delete the backup file that is on my Time Capsule currently so that Time Machine takes a brand new complete backup of my Macbook? 

This only applies if you are going to take a hard drive with an existing Time Machine backup and configure it as an Airdisc (attached to the Airport Extreme base station). If you have the room on the drive, I'd leave the old backup on there till you're confident everything is working to your satisfaction.

Loftprojection

This only applies if you are going to take a hard drive with an existing Time Machine backup and configure it as an Airdisc (attached to the Airport Extreme base station). If you have the room on the drive, I'd leave the old backup on there till you're confident everything is working to your satisfaction.

OK thanks.  I'm a very basic user.  I bought the TimeCapsule a couple of weeks ago, powered it, configured the WiFi and left TimeMachine do it's job since then so I guess I'm ok.