High quality classical LPs that you own and would recommend?

AliG

I have checked this list, but most of the recommended LP on the list are not available for purchase any more :duh: :duh:
http://www.high-endaudio.com/supreme.html

Can anyone suggest something for me to buy? I heard so much about playing classical music on LP, so now I dying to experience it! :drool: :drool:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: High quality classical LPs that you own and would recommend?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2008, 08:07 pm »
Classical Music ?

Renaissance?
Baroque?
Romantic?
Modern?
Symphony?
Single/double/trio/quartet?
Vocal?
Opera?

What do you like?

I will throw in a few when I pack the TT. 

AliG

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2008, 08:36 pm »
Hi Woodsyi,
   Thanks for coming to the rescue again.. :thankyou:

I'll like to experience a good large-scale orchestra/symphony music - which has not lived up to my expectation when played through CD format. I don't mind one addition LP on trio/quartet too. :wink:

Rgds
barry

Classical Music ?

Renaissance?
Baroque?
Romantic?
Modern?
Symphony?
Vocal?
Opera?

What do you like?

I will throw in a few when I pack the TT. 

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2008, 08:43 pm »
I find the same thing, Barry....classical music on CD fares the least well of all the genres.

John

twitch54

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2008, 06:00 pm »
Barry, Glad to hear / see the enthusiasm with your analog adventure !

Here's my Classical recomendation...... I'm a big fan of Maestro Lorin Maazel, having followed him, collected his recordings from his days conducting the Cleveland Orchestra back in the early seventies. I'm also a huge fan of Tchaikovsky, now alot of folks poo-ho the "1812 overture" but when conducted and performed correctly, it is superb. For me Lorin Maazel does it best.

So with all the above retoric being said I recomend, Tchaikovsky- 1812 overture, Symphonies 4 & 6, Piano concertos (all three !)

while on the "Russian" theme I must also put a plug in for Dimitri Shostakovich, his 5th symphony is a favorite of mine. Ten years ago, my son's High School Marching Band adapted the fourth movement for a great field performance / rendition.

ricmon

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2008, 06:45 pm »
Classical Music ?

Renaissance?
Baroque?
Romantic?
Modern?
Symphony?
Vocal?
Opera?

Clarity very nice ;-)

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2008, 07:13 pm »
Here is my toss-in:

Arron Copland: Billy the Kid (the Great American composer).

Wayner

AliG

« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2008, 09:19 pm »
what about this LP, I do like his music, but I don't know for sure if the quality of this LP will bring me orgasm???  :drool: :drool::lol: :lol: :lol:
http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=11375

It's 50 bucks!!! :duh: :duh:

Review by TNT:
http://www.tnt-audio.com/topics/raybrownsoularenergy_e.html

After reading the review, I wonder, is the version sold by acoustic sounds a "Blue Vinyl"??? :scratch: :scratch:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2008, 09:37 pm »
Great sound quality; great performances! :thumb:

Edit: Whoops :oops: this is a CD but I'm sure the LP is excellent too.

AliG

« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2008, 10:04 pm »
raja, thanks, if the CD is excellent then I'll buy the CD no problem. For me to buy the LP it has got to be "more excellent" than the CD version. :wink:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2008, 07:58 am »

It's 50 bucks!!! :duh: :duh:

On the other hand, how many times have you spent 20 bucks on a CD and found out you like only the tune you bought it for and maybe one other. I know I have, as often as not! :?

Scott F.

« Reply #11 on: 22 Mar 2008, 02:27 pm »
Hey Barry,

If you don't mind spending $50 bucks on a piece of vinyl, this one is even better than Soular Energy.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=16524

It comes on red vinyl. The recording is considerably better than the Ray Brown disc. Last I talked to Dennis Cassidy of Pure Audiophile, they aren't producing blue vinyl anymore. Don't quote me but I think he said the supplier stopped making the pellets. The only blue vinyl you'll find would be if there was any left from the initial 1000 pressings and I think those are all gone now but who knows, you might get lucky.

I'm with twitch when if comes to Maazel. He's done some great recordings with the CO. Be warned though, if you pick up the 1812 on Telarc, your arm will not track the canon shots. I had a long conversation with Stan Ricker about that one (he did the mastering). He told me they mastered it "extremely hot" purposely to get people to upgrade their arms and carts. Even today using my Dynavector 507 MkII and the Music Maker (or a stupid expensive Van den Hul) I still can't track it completely. It does a lot better than any other arm I've had but after the 5th or 6th canon shot the arm leaps out of the groove.

On eBay there is a nice selection of Maazel on vinyl. I'd go for Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring. Deutsch Grammaphone did some fairly decent recordings. Not stunning but not bad either. On a grand scale I'd suggest some Mahler (4th or 5th on DG) or maybe Copland, Appalachian Spring (Bernstein). Thats always a fun listen. Holst The Planets might be a good choice.
Oh, the RCA Living Voice recordings were usually pretty good when it comes to sound quality.

Heres another one in $50 range that is extremely good. This is the 4 disc, 45rpm version of Claire de Lune. Not a full scale orchestra but some marvelous music from the Romantic era.

http://www.classicrecords.com/item.cfm?item=LSC%202326%2D45%2D200G

The great thing about Classical records, most of them are dirt cheap. That means if you get a so-so recording, it doesn't cost much to try the same composition performed by a different orchestra on a different label.

Have fun exploring  :thumb:

AliG

« Reply #12 on: 22 Mar 2008, 04:15 pm »
Hey Scott,
  Thanks for showing me the way :thumb:
  What about a VPI Industries JMW 10.5i tonearm? Will it be good enough to track the cannon shots?
I'm with twitch when if comes to Maazel. He's done some great recordings with the CO. Be warned though, if you pick up the 1812 on Telarc, your arm will not track the canon shots.

Russell, I knew exactly what you mean, I spent $30 on "Hell Freezes Over" XRCD, and I only like 2 songs.. :duh: :duh:

barry

Scott F.

« Reply #13 on: 22 Mar 2008, 04:57 pm »
I doubt it will track it either but it should be fun trying  :thumb: 

Oh, the rest of that recording is superb (sonically) BTW.

steve k

« Reply #14 on: 22 Mar 2008, 06:29 pm »
I'm not sure if any of these are available on vinyl but speaking of Maazel, this is an excellent set of Sibelius Symphonies. If you like lots of brass, he did too. aa This 3 disc set is available on CD on Amazon for only $24 and includes all 7 of his symphonies.

steve

Whitese

« Reply #15 on: 22 Mar 2008, 11:08 pm »
These are some of my favourites...These are all reissues...I figured they are easy to find in the usual places...Originals may not always be available for you to try.

twitch54

« Reply #16 on: 23 Mar 2008, 12:26 am »
I'll ditto "whitese's" recomendation for Bruckner's Symp #3, an original Decca release, the Japanese re-issue is very well done.

fsimms

« Reply #17 on: 3 Apr 2008, 03:58 pm »
Here is Michael Fremer's list of in print LPs.  Some of them are classical. 

http://store.acousticsounds.com/sale.cfm?sale=MusicAngle157

SET Man

« Reply #18 on: 4 Apr 2008, 12:41 am »
Hey!

I'm not a hardcore classical fan. But if you are looking for classical music on vinyl LPs you are pretty much stuck with old used LPs or pay big bucks for reissued LPs of old performances.  No, not that there is anything wrong with those old performances. I'm sure most of them are better than today's performances.

But the fact that I think all of the new classical releases are recorded in digital and only available on CD. Well, than again if it was from digital master than why buy it on LPs anyway. :D

I don't know where you located but if you were in NYC area you could scouting around flea markets on weekend and there are still some used record store that have classical LPs I think. You could really pick up a lot of them for just a few bucks!

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #19 on: 4 Apr 2008, 01:06 am »
I have checked this list, but most of the recommended LP on the list are not available for purchase any more :duh: :duh:
http://www.high-endaudio.com/supreme.html

Can anyone suggest something for me to buy? I heard so much about playing classical music on LP, so now I dying to experience it! :drool: :drool:

Don't know what's available on LP anymore.  So, your order is too tall perhaps.  It would take some die-hard LP aficionados to be able to recommend the recommendable still available on LP.  If you're willing to accept CDs, then it'd be easier.  Because classical music is becoming hard-sell now, the companies are really digging into their vaults and reissuing the more worthwhile recordings on CD.  There are worthwhile CD reissues out there, tho perhaps not quite the same as LP sonically.