6.5mV okay for Cornet2?

Ferrstein

6.5mV okay for Cornet2?
« on: 19 Mar 2008, 01:12 pm »
I've been using my Cornet2 with a Linn Arkiv (150uV output) and an Altec 4722 step-up transformer for a while.  Great sounding setup, but it hums.  I think with the low output of the Arkiv I'm probably fighting a loosing battle.

I've decided to give a decent MM a shot since I sorta need to downsize and my Arkiv is on it's last leg.  Since I want to keep my Linn, I figured the next logical choice would be the Adikt MM cart from Linn.  It has a 6.5mV output. 

Will this work okay with the Cornet2?  I think that was designed for about 5mv, so here I am at 30% above that.  Are there any parameters or parts substitutions I should do inside for this cart?

Thanks in advance and happy listening!

Theo

Re: 6.5mV okay for Cornet2?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2008, 05:25 pm »
I've been using my Cornet2 with a Linn Arkiv (150uV output) and an Altec 4722 step-up transformer for a while.  Great sounding setup, but it hums.  I think with the low output of the Arkiv I'm probably fighting a loosing battle.

I've decided to give a decent MM a shot since I sorta need to downsize and my Arkiv is on it's last leg.  Since I want to keep my Linn, I figured the next logical choice would be the Adikt MM cart from Linn.  It has a 6.5mV output. 

Will this work okay with the Cornet2?  I think that was designed for about 5mv, so here I am at 30% above that.  Are there any parameters or parts substitutions I should do inside for this cart?

Thanks in advance and happy listening!

I'm using a Goldring G1042 with the same 6.5mV output into Cornet2.  Works very well.

hagtech

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2008, 05:48 pm »
No problems with 6.5mV.

jh

Rocket

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2008, 11:21 am »
Hi,

Have you thought about using a high output mc like the benz micro mc2?   It works really well with the classic cornet.

Just another option for you to consider.

Regards

Rocket

Ferrstein

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2008, 05:25 pm »
I have.  The ones I tried weren't my favorite, so I thought I'd try Linn's own High-output attempt.  I haven't done much listening, but the Adikt cart really does boogie.  I like it with rock 'n' roll.  I think my Arkiv is better in soundstaging and detail, but the Adikt has a nice pace and excitement to the music.

I have two Linn LP12s at the moment, and I think I'll keep both.  The LP12 with the Arkiv runs through my Counterpoint SA5000's phono stage, and the LP12 with the Adikt is running through the Cornet2 and into either my SA5000's line stage or the Clarinet linestage.

Both setups sound wonderful but they do have their own strengths and weaknesses...