Transporter w/SlimServer 6.5.4, Firmware adjustable?

kck

I am trying out the Transporter after several years of satisfaction with SB1, then SB3. The main thing I could not come to terms with wrt SB is that using an external DAC was not satisfactory to me. I would say it is jitter but OTOH I have not tried that many DACs, but the result was the same each time... although each DAC might present differently, that sense of unease was the same. I have read where some people are more sensitive to this phenomenon than others.

So this logic took me the Transporter route, and from limited listening I would say this is not a problem using the TP's DAC.  So it looks like TP may be a keeper in my system.

But my question here is about firmware, and Server versions. I tried installing V7.0 yesterday and basically didn't do well. I could not access my library after a lot of trying. Now I am not a hardcore techie like some here though I get by... but in this case I couldn't. I also DESPISE that I have to log in to access my own music... WTH is that?

So I took it back to 6.5.4. With my SB3, I was using mgalusha's firmware selector and was very happy with FW15. But it seems the TP will only do FW31... using the selector does nothing, and in fact 31 isn't even in the FW selector (but you already knew that).

Is there any equivalent version of FW15 for the Transporter? Or is 31 the only one? Does v7.0 sound better, for those who have been on it for a while?

Double Ugly

Re: Transporter w/SlimServer 6.5.4, Firmware adjustable?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2008, 07:47 pm »
Is there any equivalent version of FW15 for the Transporter?

Not that I'm aware of.  I also used v15 with my SB, but I had no luck when I looked around for a way to try different firmware.  I didn't even find a discussion about it, but that was a while back.

FWIW, assuming you decide the Transporter is the answer, you may want to consider approaching Dan Wright or Alex Peychev about modifications.  I've heard Dan's machine and it's a keeper.  Alex hasn't been modding the Transporter very long, but rumor has it the results are very good.

Personally, I'm considering both.  My Transporter is en route to Alex now, and since his approach is more re-engineering than alteration, there will still be room for Dan's mods.

Granted, the cost of the Transporter plus two (or in my case, three  :oops:) modifications adds up, but I don't agree with those who assert most or all of Transporter's potential is realized in stock form. 

But that's just me.  :D

All standard caveats apply (to my ears, YMMV, etc., etc.)

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2008, 07:58 pm »
Unlike the Sb3 world, there doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion about firmware sound quality for the transporter.  The only issues out there were about FW40 (beta tested in an early 7.0x release).  It caused problems so the FW for V 7.0 Gold (meaning production release) is FW36.  I am not aware of any earlier FW that is better/worse.  Yes, I used Mike's selector too, when using the SB3, but haven't since going to the Modwright Transporter. 

BTW, if you are running windows use "\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\ServiceEnabler.exe" to allow squeezecenter to run as a service. If you want the system tray tool make sure "\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\SqueezeTray.exe" is in the startup folder of each user.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43794

kck

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2008, 08:25 pm »
Thanks Double Ugly and ted_b. Some follow up questions:

1. Are you running 7.0? Any problems setting up to your library? After yesterday's experience I am of the mind to hold off for a month or so. I suppose if SQ is better with 7.0 then I will do that, but there is no evidence yet that that is the case.

2. Are you using the Transporter with a preamp, or using the volume control? I have not listened extensively to both but initial impressions are that the preamp is a bit more dynamic. Of course it will depend on the pre as well. My only foreseeable other source would be digital, so switching/analog preamplification is not an issue.

I can't say I will be rushing to get it modified though. I'm sure the modders do a great job based on their excellent rep, but I am in general skeptical of mods. NOT specifically referring to the TP or its modders, but sometimes a mod is just that... a modification, meaning a change of sound. Not necessarily an improvement (not starting an argument here; this is just from my gut and no I don't have experience). If I got a chance to A-B it in my system then it's another matter.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2008, 08:59 pm »
I've been running 7.0 for quite some time, and no real issues.  It's been in beta, etc for months on end.

As far as mods, Dan does a little bit to it, yes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's the before and after innerds......
before

after

I use it with a preamp (Dan's LS 36.5 with external PS).  I love it's sound with the preamp.  And  I personally don't like futzing with the digital volume control. 

kck

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2008, 09:25 pm »
ted_b, why does the interior look so much smaller after the mods?  :green:

Seriously, that does look like a bit of work, and from what I read, it is no doubt great sounding. Maybe one day...

Re digital volume control... I am still trying to figure out what this thing is doing.

I have the player settings (in the browser) set to "Digital volume is fixed". Then using the analog outs direct to amp or to preamp, whichever happens to be the case. Are you saying that even my method is a digital volume control? If so, and I read a bit about this, my lowest usable volume is fairly high, perhaps 60% for audible sound, and 70% for moderate listening, with 80-90% being realistic-sounding SPL.

I need to find some time to delve into this stuff in greater depth. As it is, it feels like I'm flying blind at times. Have skimmed some of the SD forums, as well as here of course.

Double Ugly

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2008, 10:18 pm »
Thanks Double Ugly and ted_b.

You're welcome.

Some follow up questions:

1. Are you running 7.0? Any problems setting up to your library? After yesterday's experience I am of the mind to hold off for a month or so. I suppose if SQ is better with 7.0 then I will do that, but there is no evidence yet that that is the case.

Yes, but I've not experienced any problems... yet.  :|

2. Are you using the Transporter with a preamp, or using the volume control? I have not listened extensively to both but initial impressions are that the preamp is a bit more dynamic. Of course it will depend on the pre as well. My only foreseeable other source would be digital, so switching/analog preamplification is not an issue.

I'm going direct and use the volume control.

The only addition I've made to the system thus far that made an improvement was the Burson Buffer, and pace was the primary benefactor.  I'm sure a good-to-great preamp will sound fabulous with the Transporter, but I've become too enamored with the crystal-clear clarity of a direct connection to seriously consider adding a pre- into the system.

I can't say I will be rushing to get it modified though. I'm sure the modders do a great job based on their excellent rep, but I am in general skeptical of mods. NOT specifically referring to the TP or its modders, but sometimes a mod is just that... a modification, meaning a change of sound. Not necessarily an improvement (not starting an argument here; this is just from my gut and no I don't have experience). If I got a chance to A-B it in my system then it's another matter.

You've every reason to be skeptical and cautious.  Anyone who has dealt with modders for any length of time has run into a scoundrel once or twice, and/or had equipment return with a different - but not necessarily better - sound. 

That said, a ModWright Transporter is clearly superior to a stock machine IMO, and Dan enjoys an enviable personal and professional reputation.  Hopefully I'll be in a position to report on my experience with Alex Peychev and his mods in the coming weeks.
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2008, 03:03 am by Double Ugly »

PhilNYC

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2008, 11:23 pm »
I tried installing V7.0 yesterday and basically didn't do well. I could not access my library after a lot of trying. Now I am not a hardcore techie like some here though I get by... but in this case I couldn't.

After I installed the public version of 7.0, I couldn't find any of my music.  But all it took was a full re-scan from SlimCenter and all was again available.

I also DESPISE that I have to log in to access my own music... WTH is that?

I've never had to log in to access music using any version of SlimServer/SlimCenter.  What was it asking you to do?

riffer

« Reply #8 on: 18 Mar 2008, 12:51 am »
My install of 7.0 was smooth as silk.

Installed over 6.5.4 and followed the instructions.  New firmware installed as well.

Since installation, I haven't had any of the crashes that plagued me before (knock on wood).

I haven't delved too much into the details and settings.  Seems to have carried everything over, except that I had to turn the volume back up, as I am using as a source.

kck

« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2008, 06:26 pm »
PhilNYC, what were the steps to do a rescan? As I do not have 7.0 now I have to go on memory, but cannot recall that that was available. But it's quite possible I missed it. I may attempt this again this coming weekend... now I know I can roll it back!

Does it not ask you to log in each time you open the browser interface? Sure did me...

One other issue is the occasional freeze requiring a power cord reboot. Perhaps 7.0 will help with that, riffer.

Thanks for all responses so far. Really looking forward to a great experience with this machine.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2008, 07:01 pm »
PhilNYC, what were the steps to do a rescan? As I do not have 7.0 now I have to go on memory, but cannot recall that that was available. But it's quite possible I missed it. I may attempt this again this coming weekend... now I know I can roll it back!

Does it not ask you to log in each time you open the browser interface? Sure did me...

One other issue is the occasional freeze requiring a power cord reboot. Perhaps 7.0 will help with that, riffer.

Thanks for all responses so far. Really looking forward to a great experience with this machine.

Squeezecenter main settings _>  rescan entire library

It is a very typical thing you would do when making major changes to your files, etc.  I rescan my entire library at least monthly; I have Squeeze Center go look for new or changed music on an even more regular basis.  If you are unfamiliar with this aspect you'll need to peruse Squeezecenter and get more familiar.  It's a basic need that will be required, especially when troubleshooting.  All that being said, SC 7.0 has been rock solid for me. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2008, 07:37 pm »

From the SqueezeCenter home page, click on "Settings" at the bottom right of the window.  A new window will pop up at the "Basic Settings" page.  The last option on that screen is a drop-down list box with the option to "Clear Library and re-scan everything".  Select that one, then click on "Rescan".  Depending on the size of your library, it should take anywhere from 3 seconds to 10 minutes (I have about 6000 songs, so it took a few minutes to go through).

Mine did not (never has)...I don't think there is anything in SqueezeCenter that is set to require a log-on.  What logon name/password did it ask you for?  Maybe you have some kind of permissions/sharing settings set on your music folder?  Sounds more like something you have set in the OS than in SqueezeCenter...

kck

« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2008, 09:30 pm »
Reading is a great thing, folks. I recommend everyone try it from time to time... especially me  :green:

Given the above responses, I attempted the install again as I couldn't wait for the weekend.

The opening screen does invite you to join SqueezeNetwork, which then asks for a login and password, but previously I completely missed the "Next" button  :duh:

As you can guess, the install went smoothly from there, and even the re-scan happened automatically. FW is now 36, and all is right with the TP world.

Thanks to all! Now if you can solve this problem I have with my boss at work...

mgalusha

« Reply #13 on: 18 Mar 2008, 09:58 pm »
So I took it back to 6.5.4. With my SB3, I was using mgalusha's firmware selector and was very happy with FW15. But it seems the TP will only do FW31... using the selector does nothing, and in fact 31 isn't even in the FW selector (but you already knew that).

The FW selector was only written to work with SB firmware control files. I may have a look ad see if it can be updated to work with Transporter FW control files - assuming there is more than one version of the FW for the transporter.

kck

« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2008, 12:29 am »
Thanks for joining in Mgalusha. Best I know there is 31 and 36, but there does not seem to be any commonly-held belief that one is better than the other. I am listening now to 36 and can't say there is any obvious difference, but I did not pay close attention to the other one either.