OB 5 project from Malaysia !

kp93300

OB 5 project from Malaysia !
« on: 17 Mar 2008, 02:43 am »
Hi All,
I want to share with my experiences of the project.
I bought the kit about 2 months ago after reading the glowing reviews and the the reputation of Danny .
My existing speaker is an Alon 11 that is also very similiar in design.
Some of the pictures posted are indeed very inspiring and is in the early stage of the project.
When the kit arrived , I thought I have bitten more than I can chew and should have started with a single driver speaker project first . My electrical skills is basic.
I want to post some pictures and hope somebody can point out the procedures to do so .
I think I need more help an encouragement along the way.
I engage a local carpenter to build the box  with MDF.

Thanking all in advance

KP 93300

ttan98

Re: OB 5 project from Malaysia !
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2008, 03:14 am »
The difficult tasks have been done by Danny, ie x-over design, cabinet design, etc.

Your main task is to supervise the carpenter in Malaysia so that they built the cabinet to spec. ie cabinet dimensions,  very important, and well reinforced, and internal damping. If you want to present well the vennering, etc.

After that, solder the x-overs together, this would not be too difficult as you cannot damage them, if incorrect solder you can always change them. You can't go wrong.

You ship all the way to Malaysia(costs you a fortune), you should have bought the OB7 instead not that much difference in price, additional 4 drivers, etc, you get better bass response and overall sound quality.

Cheers happy listening...

kp93300

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2008, 05:53 am »
Hi Ttan98,
Thanks for the reply.
This is the first speaker project for me and the carpenter but he is quite a senior carpenter and  his work is neat. I have high expectations .
I do not wish to have too much bass in my 200 sq ft room.
I  intend to  upgrade to OB 7 in future  if necessary . The crossover is almost the same .
I build another box and get some more woofers from Danny.
Thanks

KP 93300

kp93300

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2008, 10:05 am »
Hi
I have uploaded some pictures in the gallery .
I want to seek the opinion of other speaker builders know whether it is OK to use Aquarium Filter wool to damp resonance in the box ?
Thank s

[http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/albums/userpics/55024/thumb_inside__box_002_post.jpg

KP 93300

Cacophonix

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2008, 04:17 pm »
I think danny advices people to leave a clear path down the box and add no-rez to the internal walls.

kp93300

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2008, 11:16 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback .
I have rearranged the aquarium filter wool to allow for better flow of air.
I intend to have an external crossover for ease of installation.
I use about 1/2 pound of the wool per side.
[/img]

My next step is to cut all the cables to length and coil it within the box before sending to the caroenter to fix the front baffle and then spray paint.
With the external croosover, the cable provided in the kit is not long enpugh and I decided to use canare speaker cableto wire up the lower woofers
Thanks for watching.

kp93300

kp93300

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2008, 11:22 pm »
some picture

thanks for viewing
kp93300

ttan98

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2008, 07:53 am »
From what I gather the wood you are using is not MDF or plywood, I wonder what wood you are using, a local variety?

I suppose you know the type of wood used also determines the sound quality.

kp93300

« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2008, 01:34 am »
Hi Ttan98,
According to the carpenter, this is MDF as specified.
I have arranged the wool to line up along the heigth of the box. 1/2 pound per side . There is still some resonance inside the box when I shorted  into  it .
How critical is the need to maintain air tight at the corners. ?
The carpenter use no head nails and glue.
Thanks

kp 93300

ttan98

« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2008, 03:58 am »
Hi Ttan98,

The carpenter use no head nails and glue.
Thanks

kp 93300

What prompted me to say you didn't use MDF is because it looks quite dark for MDF. I suppose your carpenter would know, I am just speculating.

Does he use joints all the way? What sort?
I think if you use no glue you may have to seal the edges, what material, I don't know. Someone here may help.

ttan98

« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2008, 04:02 am »
go to thread under title "My build ......flatpack" Danny would have the answer to your query in regard to use of sealant, refer to the last few posts.

kp93300

« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2008, 09:26 am »
Hi ttan98 and Danny,
Thanks for the info.
The box is in the workshop for spraying now.
Now planning, the next stage.
I want to ask Danny to recommend a way of having a good air seal between the baffle and the speaker. I hope the seal is not permanent and allow for opening if necessary.
Thanks

KP93300

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2008, 10:35 pm »
Are you referring to the removable panel in the bottom where the crossover is placed?

kp93300

« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2008, 01:15 am »
Hi Danny,
I am referring to the joint between the speakers and the baffle.
With regard to the bottom removable piece, I am thinking of using acrylic sealant used by building contractors  for sealing joints in the window and  floor skirting.
Thanks
kp93300

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2008, 01:42 am »
You'll want the front baffle to be sealed and you won't want to ever remove it. There won't be any need to. You can access the crossover from the removable bottom.

kp93300

« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2008, 04:47 am »
Hi,
What do you normally used for sealing the speaker / front  baffle  interface ?
kp93300

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #16 on: 2 Apr 2008, 11:55 am »
I think you mean the driver/baffle interface.  If so, I personally use the Parts Express gasket:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-542
1/8" x 1/2" for large drivers and 1/8" x 3/8" for small drivers.

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 2 Apr 2008, 06:35 pm »
All of the drivers come with gaskets.

kp93300

« Reply #18 on: 1 Jun 2008, 12:46 pm »
Hi All .
I have just completed my OB5 and want to thank all for the various suggestions along the way.
I can testify that the various descriptions about the speaker in the other threads are true.
The greatest attribute to the speaker is that it is a very coherent speaker and is good in all aspects.
they  disappear in the wonderful sound stage  in my set up and give a wonderful illusion of the musicians in the room.
It  is easy to drive and mates well with the amp 5 from 41 hz.
The bass can be felt despite this being a 50 w class d amp in my medium size room . The different types of drums are easy to distinguish . There is good speed and control .
It is very easy to hear the movement of the lips of singer when they move towards the mike to start singing.
The treble is very very clean and detail . The triangle and the high hat from the drummer is very realistic with good bite and decay.
The depth is beyond the front wall and the width is beyond the speakers.
The speaker is better than my ancient Alon 2 in all aspects.

Thank you all once again and to Danny for providing us with wonderful kit at an affordable price with very good back up service .

KP93300

Irwin AR

« Reply #19 on: 15 Sep 2008, 01:38 am »
Congrats!

Do post pictures of finished speaker .

By the way i'm in KL. Just wondering where did you get your cabinets done?

How much. I'm just having difficulties finding a good source of MDF so maybe i'd go
your route instead.