Audiokarma Audio Festival, May 3-4

avahifi

Re: Audiokarma Audio Festival, May 3-4
« Reply #40 on: 13 Apr 2008, 03:44 pm »
The Ultra Differential Preamp has six sets of normal stereo inputs, along with the left and right channel differential inputs and outputs.

All stereo inputs are converted to differential operation and thus the benefits are realized from the preamp on down to the speakers.  Even though the tuner and phono sources are not full differential from their sources, the sonic advantages are still very obvious.

There is not enough real estate to build a hybrid phono section into the Ultra Differential Preamp.  However it is pretty awesome sounding with a stock Ultra RIAA phono preamp ahead of it. A stereo headphone amplifier is still part of the package.

The OmegaStar Differential Preamplifier/DAC has six sets of normal stereo inputs too, along with left and right differential outputs.  We have not tried fitting an OmegaStar phono preamp section into this package yet, although there is available chassis space.  There might be noise issues with all that electronics in one package combined with the additional 40 dB of gain required for the phono circuit. We will try it of course and offer it as an option when we have time and if it works properly.  Larry is bringing over the first prototype OmegaStar Differential Power Amp later today for its first musical tests.

Now, which would I rather have, the complete OmegaStar differential system at $2499 for the preamp/dac and $2499 for the power amp, or a complete set of Ultra standard hybrid stereo components (DAC, preamp, and amplifier at about the same price for basic units)? Well that is a good question, to be able to be answered later today when we get the setup playing here.

Remember, with the OmegaStar Differential Preamp/DAC all you have to do is add sources and a second power amp and you are in business.  Lots of people spend tons more on speaker wires and interconnect cables.

It will be fun to see and hear the reactions at the AudioKarma show the weekend of May 3rd.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

pardales

« Reply #41 on: 13 Apr 2008, 06:34 pm »
So if one acquired the OmegaStar Differential Preamplifier/DAC $2499 AND the OmegaStar Differential Amplifier $2499, plus source and speakers, that would be a complete system?

Is there a website for the speaker cables you are talking about?

Can't wait to hear this set-up at AKFest.

thronbocaj

« Reply #42 on: 13 Apr 2008, 09:06 pm »
So is this omega differential amp basically just 2 omega 240ex amps in 1 chassis?

avahifi_lj

« Reply #43 on: 15 Apr 2008, 01:24 am »
So is this omega differential amp basically just 2 omega 240ex amps in 1 chassis?

Hi:

Great question.  The differential amp does share the basic circuits with all the other OmegaStar power amps, but it's not simply two OmegaStar 240EX amps in one chassis.  The most significant difference is that the amp is set up for differential use; therefore, it can't be used for normal stereo use.

There are some other significant differences between this amp and our stereo amps.  For example, the power supply and the output devices are heavier.  There are four input jacks (positive and negative for both left and right channel) to accommodate the differential input.  Naturally, there are four audio boards that have fused outputs.  There are, however, only two speakers jacks (with no common ground).  Because the amp is running in differential mode, I also spent considerable time in making sure that the active devices are closely matched between the positive and negative amplifier sections.

So while it may look like two OmegaStar EX amps in one box, it's really a different animal.

Thanks!

Larry

Curious1

« Reply #44 on: 15 Apr 2008, 02:51 am »

The Ultra Differential Preamp has six sets of normal stereo inputs, along with the left and right channel differential inputs and outputs.

All stereo inputs are converted to differential operation and thus the benefits are realized from the preamp on down to the speakers.  Even though the tuner and phono sources are not full differential from their sources, the sonic advantages are still very obvious.

So, not to imply that the Ultra DAC is a "more mundane stereo analog source", but couldn't one run the Ultra DAC into the differential preamp and realize close to the same sonic benefit? Will this work? How does this sound?

Curious

avahifi

« Reply #45 on: 15 Apr 2008, 02:23 pm »
Certainly you could do this for starters - - - run the "stock" Ultra DAC into stereo inputs on the differential preamp and get the advantages of differential mode performance from the preamp downstream.  Yes we have tried this and the results are very pleasing.

However, it is not the complete solution as the stock DAC is two channel internally.  The differential DAC maintains four separate analog filter/amplifiers internally, directly from the differential outputs on the digital section.  It still is a bit of apple and orange comparison too, as the stock DAC uses a Philips chip set, the differential DAC the most recent available Wolfson chip set.  To complicate matters, the Wolfson outputs a voltage directly, the Philips set a current.  Thus the necessary first solid state current to voltage converter circuits are not required with the Wolfson application and are eliminated.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

TjMV3

« Reply #46 on: 15 Apr 2008, 10:06 pm »
So " Differential " means fully balanced design all the way through (XLR connectors),  correct?

As opposed to a lot of the psedo-balanced (XLR connector) designs that currently litter the market,  but are not truely and completely balanced or " Differential",  correct?

Am I right? 

Toka

« Reply #47 on: 16 Apr 2008, 12:41 am »
It still is a bit of apple and orange comparison too, as the stock DAC uses a Philips chip set, the differential DAC the most recent available Wolfson chip set.  To complicate matters, the Wolfson outputs a voltage directly, the Philips set a current.  Thus the necessary first solid state current to voltage converter circuits are not required with the Wolfson application and are eliminated.

I asked earlier but it got lost in the waves...any other sonic/operational differences between the Wolfson and Philips chips? Still multibit/parallel I hope!

And how did things shake out the other day? I'm most anxious to read how the OmegaStar diff. sized up to the regular Ultra gear.

Curious1

« Reply #48 on: 16 Apr 2008, 03:53 am »
Wow...  Did you get to see any magic blue smoke figuring all of this out? I can't imagine how much electrical equipment I'd ruin testing theory like this...
I can't wait to hear mine.  :roll:
Thanks for the response,
Curious

AVA convert

« Reply #49 on: 18 Apr 2008, 10:19 pm »
I was going to get my Ultra pre up graded this year along with a tube DAC and an Ultra bridge, but this is the ultimate for me, I'm going straight for the throat on this one!!!!!!!!!

cdorval1

« Reply #50 on: 27 Apr 2008, 09:56 pm »
Quick question.  What would be the effect if a tube in one channel of the differential DAC or preamp decayed faster than in the other three?

Thanks.

Craig

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #51 on: 27 Apr 2008, 11:23 pm »
All matter decays, but tubes decay much faster than solid state, and their decay is not consistent from tube to tube.  This decay does effect the sound.  That's why most replace tubes before they blow and do it in matched pairs.