PS3 vs. SqueezeBox and NAS

Dan Twomey

PS3 vs. SqueezeBox and NAS
« on: 14 Mar 2008, 03:28 am »
I was telling my friend about my intentions of doing a SqueezeBox/NAS combo and he went on to make a good argument for the PS3. Some of his points were.....

> Yes, that's cool although a PS3 will also do that. It would be able to
connect to your server as well as internet radio, and be able to play
Hi-def audio, which will actually be more audiophile quality then CD.

As far as a Blu-ray player, the PS3 is still the best choice since the
Blu-ray standard is still evolving and the PS3 is still the only unit on
the market now that will be upgradeable to the newest Blu-ray standards.
Also, if you want internet radio or video, the PS3 can do that as well. It
has a built-in browser, and can connect to the internet via ethernet or
wifi. You can even install Linux as a second operating system using the
free Red Dog Linux. The system supports it.

I think with the Squeezebox will actually limit you to lower quality
standards. I would still get the server if you wish to share throughout
the house. I should note though that the PS3 still has enough storage for
a 300 CD collection, with plenty to spare (my estimate would be about 13.5
GB out of 80 GB if music is stored uncompressed and average CD is 45 min).
It will also look up CD names and organize them. You can also create
playlists. Also the hard drive is upgradeable with off the shelf notebook
hard drives. I would still consider the PS3 for all the above. If you
really want high quality audio, get an audiophile HDMI D/A converter with
it. You can always buy that later. Also, the PS3 is not much more money
then the squeezebox. Don't kid yourself and let the fact that the PS3 is
also a gaming machine fool you. It is first and foremost a top notch media
player. HDMI has phenomenal sound capability far exceeding CD quality.
There are actually quite a few discs available aside from Blu-ray concerts
that have higher quality sound. Gavin brought one over recently, and it
sounded great in comparison to CD. I think those will become more common
going forward. Might as well have that capability.

Oh, and did I mention how awesome playing HD full surround games on a huge
screen is?

Is the PS3 the no-brainer choice my friend try's to make it out to be?

Regards,
Dan

EchiDna

Re: PS3 vs. SqueezeBox and NAS
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2008, 04:10 am »
A PS3 can certainly do all that, but it really depends on you... with the PS3, you need to have the TV switched on to work through the menus, make song choices etc. If you have an audio only room (I wish!) then the PS3 won't cut it without a monitor of some sort.

if your listening room is more a home theatre style, then the PS3 can match the SB3 in terms of features, but I've not "listened" to a PS3 as a source, so can't comment on how it sounds...

In the end, this is probably the most important factor to any audiophile - the sound, not the features, not the ease of use, just simply how it sounds  :) certainly not the mass market consumer point of veiw, but there it is...

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2008, 06:03 pm »
It might be close in price but once you through in a good DAC that can take advantage of the higher formats you just negated the price by thousands...

You need a TV. Also do we want Sony controlling us? I do not really want their hands determining my sound forever on.

darrenyeats

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2008, 06:49 pm »
>[A PS3] would be able to connect to your server
It is a Good Idea to use a dedicated data server - and not a PS3, desktop or laptop - to store the data.
>as well as internet radio
Ditto SB3.
>and be able to play Hi-def audio
Ditto SB3 up to 24/48 and via a DAC more.
>which will actually be more audiophile quality then CD.
A matter of opinion. :)
>As far as a Blu-ray player, the PS3 is still the best choice
Ok.
>Also, if you want internet radio or video, the PS3 can do that as well.
Ok on video part, SB3 does internet radio too.
>It has a built-in browser, and can connect to the internet via ethernet
>or wifi. You can even install Linux as a second operating system using the
>free Red Dog Linux. The system supports it.
Yes, because it's a computer. You need a display. I don't know what physical noise a PS3 produces but an SB3 is completely silent. For me, I don't want a computer no matter how "silent" in my listening room...but I don't have HT there.
>I should note though that the PS3 still has enough storage for
>a 300 CD collection, with plenty to spare (my estimate would be about 13.5
>GB out of 80 GB if music is stored uncompressed and average CD is 45 min).
Not even close by my reckoning. The average CD album disc takes about 300Mb in lossless. That's about 100Gb for 300 album discs (or 200Gb uncompressed). And that's for red book CDs. I'm not sure what the so-called-superior hi rez formats would take up, but a heck of a lot more. See my earlier point about a dedicated data server. :)
>It will also look up CD names and organize them. You can also create playlists.
Like an SB3.
>Also the hard drive is upgradeable with off the
>shelf notebook hard drives.
Which are more expensive and smaller in capacity than regular drives, like in a dedicated data server for example.
>I would still consider the PS3 for all the above.
Definitely (but only with a data server)!
>If you really want high quality audio, get an audiophile HDMI
>D/A converter with
Not much experience with that. But with an SB3 or PS3 you could get a truly world class DAC like a Benchmark DAC1 and connect via S/PDIF (I'm assuming PS3 has a S/PDIF out) if you want.
>There are actually quite a few discs available aside from Blu-ray concerts
>that have higher quality sound. Gavin brought one over recently, and it
>sounded great in comparison to CD. I think those will become more common
>going forward. Might as well have that capability.
See numerous threads re: hi def mastering. There are CDs that "sound better than CD" too...it's the mastering which makes things sound good. The statement that hi rez FORMATS are audibly better than CD red book is marketing. At the very least this is a totally unproved statement. <rant>Hi Rez music is mostly DRMed to death, that of it which isn't would eat up the space on a PS3 in a flash and it is more expensive to buy. The labels might, on occasion, lift their increasingly mediocre standard of production temporarily just to perpetuate this myth. In my opinion, hi rez music is an outrageous lie told by the music industry to further its DRM aims.</rant> Phew, don't know what came over me, sorry. :)
>Oh, and did I mention how awesome playing HD full surround games on a huge screen is?
No doubt! :)

Regards,
Darren
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2008, 07:05 pm by darrenyeats »

oris98

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2008, 09:42 pm »
I got a PS3 setup in my HT/Audio room. I play 2K7 Hockey and Rockband with my son on my 100" screen there.  I just purchased a copy of the Celine Dion Live in Vegas BlueRay Concert which comes with PCM TrueHD 5.1 and PCM 24/96 2 channel audio.  I can use the PS3 hook up with my 2 channel (EA Turbo modded Benchmark DAC1) via optical cable and will see how good it sounds when PS3 being used as a transport.   I can also throw in a redbook CD into the PS3 and try out in comparision with my RWA digital modded SB3.

Will let you guys know in couple days..  :icon_lol:

kbuzz3

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2008, 11:19 pm »
oris i am curious as to your findings. However i must note, that the "good taste" chip sometimes embedded in players may automatically reject anything celine dion related. :D

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2008, 06:07 pm »
Will let you guys know in couple days..  :icon_lol:

Time's up!!

Us home theater guys certainly wouldn't want to burn up our projector bulbs for a meer song list. Neat idea having less components in the rack though; gaming & music server in one tidy package.
Maybe if the PS3 could have a remote like the "Duet" uses.......Now we're talkin'  aa

Bob

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2008, 01:00 am »
It might be close in price but once you through in a good DAC that can take advantage of the higher formats you just negated the price by thousands...

You need a TV. Also do we want Sony controlling us? I do not really want their hands determining my sound forever on.

No we'd much prefer to have Steve Jobs controlling us and be in denial over it. LOL What makes Sony worse than Logitech or any other corporation?

EchiDna

« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2008, 11:47 am »
doubleJ, that's easy... Sony is also a major record label, apple (to date) is merely a distributor.

darrenyeats

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2008, 11:54 am »
I use my SB3 with the open standard audio codec, FLAC, and these files sit in normal folders on a normal hard disk. (In my case the Logitech server software is running on Debian Linux, a totally open source operating system, though you could use Windows or Mac OS X if you want).

Where's the proprietary control in that? Don't lump Logitech into the same pot as Sony, Apple or Microsoft. Logitech (or at least the division that was Slim Devices) are really supporting open standards a lot. That means you don't get locked in and can change to another brand without fuss.
Darren

PS: Slightly OT but big cheer to Skype...Skype 2.0 and video has arrived on Linux!