Toob noob looking for stand-in while saving for sig 30.2

Canyoneagle

It's been a while since I've participated in this forum.  I guess I've been too busy enjoying listening to my compact Hemptones  8)

I am saving for a sig 30.2, and would like to replace my SLA tripath (Clari-T copy) with a bang-for buck tube integrated amp in the interim.  This particular tripath is a DIY unit (not by me) with some upgrades.  Unfortunately, I find the sound a bit edgy and bright for my taste, although it does sound pretty darn good with extremely well-recorded material.  I guess I am interested in experiencing the "warmer" sound that tubes (and the 30.2 :D) are reputed convey, although I have no experience with tubes.

I've seen people raving about using EL34 and EL84 tubes with these speakers.  Is one better than the other for this use?  I listen to a huge variety of music.  Everything from breathy acapella vocals, folk, alternative rock (less frequently), highly dynamic acoustic music, to prog metal (Tool), and just about everything in between.  I prefer a richness to the sound (good bass response, discernable texture, palpable air, warm vocals, etc).

Sources are a Rega Planet CD player (original) and an iMod (lossless).

I'm looking on the used market in the <$600 range, which more or less limits my choices, but there do seem to be some options out there.
Again, this is a stopgap opportunity for me to learn a little bit about tubes before we move off the grid and will need to optimize our energy demand.

Any thoughts?

Jon L

Re: Toob noob looking for stand-in while saving for sig 30.2
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2008, 03:54 pm »

I'm looking on the used market in the <$600 range,

With that budget, I would personally be picking this amp for $550 before someone else does.  (No association with seller)
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1210547823

Canyoneagle

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2008, 04:05 pm »
Thanks for the link.  I didn;t understand the majority of what the ad said, though.   :?  LOL

I'll send the seller an inquiry to find out more about it.  Thanks again,
Michael

ashok

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2008, 04:43 pm »
A new JoLida 102B (EL84) amp checks in under your budget. It is considered a good starter tube amp. Some factory modifications are available that will increase the price over your budget. I have not heard this amp.

Another choice is the Almarro A205, but that is above your budget if bought new. So maybe a used one would work. I have heard this amp, and it is a good one. It was outfitted with a 5751 as the driver tube instead of the 12AX7.

Both the JoLida and the Almarro are integrated amps, using EL84 tubes. JoLida operates in push-pull mode with two EL84s per channel. The Almarro has one power tube per channel.

Regards,

Ashok

Canyoneagle

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2008, 05:19 pm »
Ahh, yes, I remember looking into the Almarro and Jolida about a year ago.

Also, I've read some good reviews on some of the tubed amps coming out of china these days.  On that note, has ayone heard of/used the tec-on (tecon) amps?  These are going for under $400 on Agon and ebay, etc. and seem to have very good reviews.
http://www.teconaudio.com/index.html

Although, for $100 more I could be in the market for a used Jolida 102B.....

Without getting into too much technical discussion, based on my diverse listening choices, am I better off looking at SET's or push/pull?  My limited understanding is that the push-pull might offer better control of large dynamic swings in music.

Thanks,
Michael

jrebman

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2008, 06:34 pm »
Michael,

Great choices there -- Jolida 102b and Almarro A205, but also look at the Sophia Baby.

Good luck,

Jim

genjamon

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2008, 06:50 pm »
I'm in the same boat, and I've just ordered a Bottlehead S.E.X. amp.

Canyoneagle

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2008, 07:05 pm »
I'd be curious to hear your impressions of the S.E.X. with Omegas (I'm assuming that's what you have?)

genjamon

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2008, 07:12 pm »
Sorry, I'm actually using Hornshoppe Horns, although I'm interested in trying out some Omegas once I'm finished with amplifier and source upgrades.

Canyoneagle

acresm22

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2008, 08:05 pm »
I'd also take a look at Vista Audio. Boris' amps offer big bang for the buck, and have gotten lots of favorable press here on AC and elsewhere. I've seen several i84s come up for sale on the used market well within your budget. My sis-in-law uses the Vista Audio i82 with a pair of Omege Super 3s and loves the combo.