VMPS mini - in wall

tbrooke

VMPS mini - in wall
« on: 12 Mar 2008, 04:28 pm »

Just a suggestion for the VMPS development team. Some of us with existing VMPS systems would like smaller less obtrusive speakers for surrounds and center channel. I realize the LRC is available and makes a great center channel but it is still a big speaker. I am using an old 626 for a center and it does pretty well plus it is smaller than the new 626r but I think a ribbon midrange and tweeter would blend in better.  I also realize that some folks advocate large surrounds and center channels but I think there is room in the VMPS product line for a small surround/center that blends with the existing line and maybe designed to be cutoff around 80 hz and could be mounted in or on a wall.

Just some food for thought

Tom

John Casler

Re: VMPS mini - in wall
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2008, 01:08 am »

Just a suggestion for the VMPS development team. Some of us with existing VMPS systems would like smaller less obtrusive speakers for surrounds and center channel. I realize the LRC is available and makes a great center channel but it is still a big speaker. I am using an old 626 for a center and it does pretty well plus it is smaller than the new 626r but I think a ribbon midrange and tweeter would blend in better.  I also realize that some folks advocate large surrounds and center channels but I think there is room in the VMPS product line for a small surround/center that blends with the existing line and maybe designed to be cutoff around 80 hz and could be mounted in or on a wall.

Just some food for thought

Tom

Hi Tom,

Look here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=34321.0

While the 626 InWall is not small it does take up less space.

It is pretty much impossible to build a 2/way using the same technology since the neopanel only offers a usable LF down to 166Hz and you also need a tweeter to go from 6.9Khz up.

tbrooke

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2008, 02:01 am »

I think I remember that thread now that I've looked at it. My primitive understanding of speakers is that the interior volume is critical so I assume that the in wall volume would have to be the same as the 626. However I guess if you were willing to sacrifice some bass a smaller enclosure would be possible.

Does the in wall thread mean we could order a custom enclosure and if so what would it cost?

Tom

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2008, 02:16 am »
If I remember correctly they are the same price as the normal 626R's and include (of course) the CDWG. ($1598 w/spiral - $1998 w/FST)

You need be a bit of an custom installer in that these don't have "rough in" or "mounting" kits.

Maybe when B sees this he can address any custom element.