626R In Wall now available

John Casler

626R In Wall now available
« on: 7 Dec 2006, 09:04 pm »
626R In Wall speaker featuring CDWG technology

Back when Brian began telling me about the CDWG and it's almost 180 degree "skirt", I saw that it would be the best "IN WALL" speaker ever.

Imagine using that level of dispersion/directivity in a HT side surround.

WOW!! It would mean that sitting slightly in front off, on axis, or behind, the side surrounds, would still be fabulous :thumb:

So while it has taken some time to do so, B, has now told me that he can build this speaker to use as an in-wall.

Additionally if the wall is deep enough you could simply mount the "actual" 626, cabinet and all (about 14-15" depth), or B, can mount the drivers and all on a baffle to simply wall mount.

Keep in mind the weight of this speaker (either version) means you may have to build a reinforcement, but boy would it be worth it!!

I didn't ask, but I think this can also be applied to the 626 jr, and at $975 a pair it is a "no-brainer" for VMPS HT's.

Woodsea

Re: 626R In Wall now available
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2006, 12:59 am »
Do you have the dimensions for this in-wall speaker?  I can't have inwalls, but my parental units can.  They are more grounded than I am.

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2006, 01:29 am »
Do you have the dimensions for this in-wall speaker?  I can't have inwalls, but my parental units can.  They are more grounded than I am.

B, said:

Depth is usually six inches or less depending on woofer.  If stud-to-stud is the standard 16", that's the width of the baffle.  Customer should measure to be sure.  Height is 24".

warnerwh

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2006, 06:05 am »
If the studs aren't centered at 16" then they're likely 20 or possibly 24. The latter two are common on older homes.

That sounds like a great idea btw.  My first thought usually when it comes to in wall speakers has been YUK! I'd love to have a pair of in wall 626R's though. With the waveguides it would be perfect.

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2006, 12:41 pm »
This does sound like an interesting idea.  I think you'd have to have a "nice" wall to put them in, though, as most walls in the US use only 2x4s, so you're only talking about 3.5 inches in depth.  If you had 2x6 walls, you'd still only have about 5.x inches in depth.  Now, if you were building your own HT/2 channel room (my dream one day), then you could spec the wall and an associated cavity for these.  That would rock.

PLMONROE

« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2006, 02:06 pm »
WOW! You two never lack for ideas. When are you coming out with a new family sedan? :lol:

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2006, 03:00 pm »
WOW! You two never lack for ideas. When are you coming out with a new family sedan? :lol:

Paul,

Your so intuitive.  How did you know that next we will have "in dash", "in door", and "junk in da trunk" 626's? aa

:lol: :lol: :lol:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2006, 05:01 pm »
John/Brian go ahead & delete this post if it's offensive in any way, certainly not meant to be...

A few days ago I heard the largest in-walls I've ever seen: dual-6.5" dual-midrange 5-speaker symmetrical-array from PSB/Canada.  Probably their most interesting feature is a totally enclosed box for a controlled woofer environment. 

They were mounted too close to the 8 or 9' ceiling to make room below for TV's on display.  No stage depth as you'd imagine.  But I gots to admit I was amazed at the bass depth/output/punch & their overal tonal balance & clarity/transparency.  Do say they were musically engaging, enjoyable & non-fatiguing too!  And all for only $4500/pr! 

Hey, did you guys see the Theil ceiling mount system, 5 sats + sub?  Great sound (allegedly), & ONLY $10,500 for the set!  Get two!

Based on the above the "high-end" market appears to be attacking the fastest growing segment (HT w/ invisible speakers) like hungry sharks.  Get it while the gettin's good!  Can you imagine the PSB profit margin for those 10 drivers, xo & utility in-wall enclosure?

This doesn't account for stereo fanatics, but the dealer told me he can hardly sell free-standing speakers anymore.  The problem though is that the return on investment is zero when your house sells, no matter how expensive the speakers. 

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2006, 05:13 pm »
Sorry, depth does not have to be six inches.  We can make the midrange subenclosure wider and shallower to fit an inwall mounting with as little as 3.5" available depth.

Flightar

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2008, 04:28 pm »
Why not just design a dedicated 626 center channel speaker. All it should take is a slightly wider cabnet so the neo panel could be turned 90 degreees so the speaker cound be lain on it's side.

Beyond that maybe exchanging the position of the Neo panel and the tweeter so the tweter is in the middle.

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2008, 12:15 pm »
626R In Wall speaker featuring CDWG technology

Back when Brian began telling me about the CDWG and it's almost 180 degree "skirt", I saw that it would be the best "IN WALL" speaker ever.

Imagine using that level of dispersion/directivity in a HT side surround.

WOW!! It would mean that sitting slightly in front off, on axis, or behind, the side surrounds, would still be fabulous :thumb:

So while it has taken some time to do so, B, has now told me that he can build this speaker to use as an in-wall.

Additionally if the wall is deep enough you could simply mount the "actual" 626, cabinet and all (about 14-15" depth), or B, can mount the drivers and all on a baffle to simply wall mount.

Keep in mind the weight of this speaker (either version) means you may have to build a reinforcement, but boy would it be worth it!!

I didn't ask, but I think this can also be applied to the 626 jr, and at $975 a pair it is a "no-brainer" for VMPS HT's.

John,

It's $975/pair for the inwalls?  And they can fit into 3.5 inch spacing?  That's not bad.

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 22 Mar 2008, 04:45 pm »
B, has said that he can build the 626jr as an "inwall" for the $975.

cliffy

« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct 2008, 06:54 pm »
John or 'Big B',

Has anyone ordered the in-wall 626R's yet.  Any reviews or comments.

How narrow can the stud spacing be?  I have approx 10" inside dimension.  Height is not a problem.  Is there an optimal interior volume that a custom enclosure should be made to have? 

My application is a corner wall with Gas Insert fireplace below and LCD TV above.  The center distance speaker to speaker in width would be approx. 56".

Is this possible or should I look for standard in-wall units?

Thanks for listening.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct 2008, 08:41 pm »
As long as you have a minimum width of 8 1/2" and a minimum depth of 3 1/2" available we can help you.

All inwalls are made up custom to your dimensions so just contact the factory and tell us what you need.  There is no extra charge.