Attenuating output of Cornet 2

vconsumer

Attenuating output of Cornet 2
« on: 11 Mar 2008, 05:22 pm »
I'm attempting to make needle drops using a Rega P3/Dynavector/Cornet 2 combo into an M-Audio 2492 soundcard. Most records drive the soundcard to clipping. I'd like to avoid putting anything additional in the signal path from Cornet to soundcard. How might I best go about attenuating the Cornet's output?

vconsumer

Re: Attentuating output of Cornet 2
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2008, 05:24 pm »
PS I've already set the M-Audio 2493 to "consumer" input sensitivity but still have very little headroom.

hagtech

Re: Attenuating output of Cornet 2
« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2008, 06:45 pm »
You need a volume control in there somewhere.  Each LP will have a slightly different recording amplitude.  It helps to adjust for optimal headroom.  A linestage would provide this function.  No easy way to insert a volume control into a CORNET2.

jh

Theo

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2008, 07:15 pm »
>>Most records drive the soundcard to clipping.

First, unless you want to digitize vinyl, why are you feeding the Cornet2 directly into your M-Audio sound card?  For listening, always feed it to a preamp or headphone amp because the phone out of the sound card sounds average at best and will dumb down the performance of your phono setup.

For digitizing vinyl I'm experiencing the same clipping issue with my new M-Audio Firewire Audiophile sound card feeding from my switchbox's rec-out (virtually a direct feed from the Cornet2).  I'm surprised that it has no input level adjustment of any kind. 

>>I'd like to avoid putting anything additional in the signal path from Cornet to soundcard.

Attenuation is job for the preamp.  Adding to the path is unavoidable unless you wish to modify the gain of the Cornet2 (not something I wish to endeavor).

For my setup, I'm adding a volume knob to the rec-out path of my switchbox to attenuate the input level to my sound card.

vconsumer

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2008, 11:40 pm »
Thanks, guys. Looks like I'll be inserting my Bottlehead Foreplay between Cornet and soundcard.

>>  I'm surprised that it has no input level adjustment of any kind.

Theo: The M-Audio 2492 allows switching between two input sensitivity settings, "consumer" and "professional," the consumer setting being the less sensitive. Perhaps your M-Audio Firewire Audiophile card has the same feature.

Theo

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2008, 12:23 am »

>>  I'm surprised that it has no input level adjustment of any kind.

Theo: The M-Audio 2492 allows switching between two input sensitivity settings, "consumer" and "professional," the consumer setting being the less sensitive. Perhaps your M-Audio Firewire Audiophile card has the same feature.

Thanks.  I just checked.  Firewire Audiophile and its software do not support this feature.  Putting a preamp in between or adding an input level knob allows precisely source level matching.  It's the right way to go for eliminating clipping.

machine

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2008, 01:59 am »
Assuming your soundcard has digital in, you could see if you could find a Behringer SRC2496.

Does AD conversion and has a analog input level control.

Vey nice, what I use with mu Cornet2...