Integrity of old files

pardales

Integrity of old files
« on: 9 Mar 2008, 04:34 pm »
Is there a way to check your files to see if they are sound? I started ripping my collection back in the Spring of 05 and now have about 300GB worth of files in ALAC. I would like to know that they are okay. Thanks,

Crimson

Integrity of old files
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2008, 05:07 pm »
Is there a way to check your files to see if they are sound? I started ripping my collection back in the Spring of 05 and now have about 300GB worth of files in ALAC. I would like to know that they are okay. Thanks,

I've heard of stories where file integrity was compromised when performing large batch conversions from one format to another. Other than that I wouldn't be concerned. Some of my files are five years old and have been moved/archived/restored to different drives numerous times over the years and still play absolutely fine.

pardales

Integrity of old files
« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2008, 06:30 pm »
Thank you, Crimson. I did do a large batch file conversion once (ALAC to AAC for my iPod). But I did that with my back-up drive and have since replaced that back-up with my original files. I now have my AAC files on a different computer.

When backing up, is there anything wrong simply dragging your iTunes music folder (with all my ALAC files) over to the new back-up drive? The Wavelength audio website recommends against this, but I don't understand why.

Sorry if this is ancillary to this thread.

Crimson

Re: Integrity of old files
« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2008, 09:59 pm »
I remember reading that at their website, and recall it had to do more with expanding your iTunes library than for backup purposes. I will comment, though, that your best bet for backing up files is using a program that automates the process based on specific folders, file verification, and can handle increments. It's easier and safer.

chosenhandle

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2008, 02:14 pm »
disk utility has a "check integrity" option, I believe. I haven't used it, but I have seen it when playing around with drives

zacster

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2008, 05:40 pm »
Use Time Machine.  You never have to touch it once you turn it on.