Black Noise AC Filter and Surge Protector

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Black Noise AC Filter and Surge Protector
« on: 6 Mar 2008, 11:01 am »
I just updated the new and lower price on the product page http://www.nuforce.com/Product-Black-Noise.htm
During this new product introductory period (we just picked up the distribution for the US market), we are offering 20% discount from the list price.

For the two persons (other than Nuforce staff) who auditioned it, they can't let it go.
So I am offering 1 set for anyone who is interested in auditioning and possibly purchase it (if you have absolutely no intention of buying it, please don't request for it now, we can let you try it later).

We'll have more units available for audition at a later time. If you don't already know, Nuforce offers FREE audition, including paying for shipping cost.  We have so much confident in our products (or those we distribute) that we dare you to try. aa

Sorry, Free audition is for USA only.

Jason

Kurt

Re: Black Noise AC Filter and Surge Protector
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2008, 06:21 pm »
Hi Jason,

I would be interested in auditioning as I am on the power conditioner hunt now. I have a Monster 5100 as well. I would like to try Gray's and Running Springs Audio also. I might travel to Portland soon the pick up the RSA unit.

I am also evaluating balancing a few of my circuits at the panel with this companies products.

http://www.equitech.com/

My systems are in the sticky.

Edited out the Power Plant Premier.
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2008, 07:29 pm by Kurt »

Glen

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2008, 12:28 am »
I'd also be interested in trying them out. I have Richard Grey's already, and have demo'd an Equitech - but I'm still looking for the right unit for my system.

Unfortunately I'm way up here in Canada............ :(

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2008, 12:34 am »
If you like to audition the blacknoise, please contact any one of our Premier Dealers listed on the website (if you have no Premier Dealer in your state, contact us directly). You have to provide your CC information for security and the dealer will chat with you to "qualify you".

Note that a lot of power conditioners are not designed to maximize noise filtering. Some are mainly to provide extra current when needed (not that relevant for switching amp because the internal power supply has current limit for protection) and others provide stable AC voltage.

The BlackNoise products focus on the highest performance for noise filtering and surge protection.
See the spec: Mains harmonics roll-off: -3db at 1.8Khz, -6db at 2.2kHz, -43db at 10kHz, -60db at 20kHz, -103db at 100kHz, -170db at 1MHz, -100db at 100MHz+
A lot of power conditioners just provide simple filtering circuit.

STEF

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2008, 08:39 am »
For 2 x 9SEV2, BLACKNOISE 1000 should be good. No need to buy 2500 model ?

Any comment ?

Regards

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2008, 12:07 am »
Yes, you can order it but we don't stock the model 1000.
This is one item that you can use forever. What if you want to plug in other devices? Therefore we only stock model 2500.  The price difference between BN1000 and BN2500 is about $200 so it is better to go with BN2500.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2008, 02:39 am »
Current consumption for 120VAC countries are twice that of 124VAC countries.   Therefore, anything short of 2500 is not suitable for 120VAC operation.

EricR

« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2008, 04:35 pm »
I'd like to add a few comments on my experience of the filters.

I recently auditioned the Black Noise (BN) filters in my system, which comprises a USB DAC and Lavry DA-10 computer front-end, a pair of Ref8.5v2s and ELAC 310.2 jet speakers. I used a BN Extreme down stream of a BPT low-noise balanced toroidal transformer for the front-end components. I used the BN 2500 for the power amps. I cannot add too much more in addition to the claims already on the Nuforce page (posted below), except to confirm that these claims are accurate.

On the purely subjective side, the BN filters have cured my digititis, which I have been suffering since I turned my back on vinyl for the CD revolution. Needless to say, I bought the filters immediately. I guess that means that 25% of the investment in my system is in filtering out noise (perhaps this is the most bitter pill of the digital music age to swallow).

I highly recommend that everyone who can afford it, have an audition. These babies may cost a bit (bitter pill), but I bet that you may discover like me that your system has great latent potential to give you great joy, yet it has been buried up to it's arse in the noise floor.

:banana piano:

"With BlackNoise filters in your system, you will notice the following:

The music occurs within a deeper silence. With background noise essentially banished, the background itself becomes deeper, revealing details you may not have heard before. Heightened harmonic information improves localization within the soundstage. Instruments and voices will seem to have acquired more “air,” thereby creating a more lifelike dimensionality.
The smallest details are more evident. For instance, lovers of solo-piano performance will have an easier time distinguishing subtle embellishments and nuance. On a far larger scale, a symphony orchestra’s sections are more readily identified, even during the most dynamic passages.
The soundstage becomes wider, deploying voices and instruments within a deeper perspective.
A significant reduction of sonic “veil” results in superior micro and macro dynamics. In short, the system’s significantly cleaner mains power exercises greater control, thus reducing the distortion lesser power supplies impose. Frequency bands become wider, with a deeper, better controlled low end. High frequencies are clearer and more accurate, as exemplified by the tactile qualities of solo voices and instruments, and instrumental ensembles."
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2008, 05:10 pm by EricR »

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2008, 05:44 pm »
I'd like to add a few comments on my experience of the filters.

I recently auditioned the Black Noise (BN) filters in my system, which comprises a USB DAC and Lavry DA-10 computer front-end, a pair of Ref8.5v2s and ELAC 310.2 jet speakers. I used a BN Extreme down stream of a BPT low-noise balanced toroidal transformer for the front-end components. I used the BN 2500 for the power amps. I cannot add too much more in addition to the claims already on the Nuforce page (posted below), except to confirm that these claims are accurate.

On the purely subjective side, the BN filters have cured my digititis, which I have been suffering since I turned my back on vinyl for the CD revolution. Needless to say, I bought the filters immediately. I guess that means that 25% of the investment in my system is in filtering out noise (perhaps this is the most bitter pill of the digital music age to swallow).

I highly recommend that everyone who can afford it, have an audition. These babies may cost a bit (bitter pill), but I bet that you may discover like me that your system has great latent potential to give you great joy, yet it has been buried up to it's arse in the noise floor.

:banana piano:

"With BlackNoise filters in your system, you will notice the following:

The music occurs within a deeper silence. With background noise essentially banished, the background itself becomes deeper, revealing details you may not have heard before. Heightened harmonic information improves localization within the soundstage. Instruments and voices will seem to have acquired more “air,” thereby creating a more lifelike dimensionality.
The smallest details are more evident. For instance, lovers of solo-piano performance will have an easier time distinguishing subtle embellishments and nuance. On a far larger scale, a symphony orchestra’s sections are more readily identified, even during the most dynamic passages.
The soundstage becomes wider, deploying voices and instruments within a deeper perspective.
A significant reduction of sonic “veil” results in superior micro and macro dynamics. In short, the system’s significantly cleaner mains power exercises greater control, thus reducing the distortion lesser power supplies impose. Frequency bands become wider, with a deeper, better controlled low end. High frequencies are clearer and more accurate, as exemplified by the tactile qualities of solo voices and instruments, and instrumental ensembles."

So I take it that you have this conditioner plugged into the back of the BPT and you have Nuforce amps plugged into the Black Noise, correct? Are you also saying that you didn't like the Nuforce amps cuz of digititis,,,, which is what? Specifically, what was it you didn't like about the Nuforce amps that the conditioner removed? You left your USB DAC and computer connected to the BPT? Have you tried connecting either to the Black Noise also?
I'm asking as I too have a BPT and i also have a computer as a main source and it seems to me that the source would be where you'd want to remove and hash, not the amps. I'm also wondering if it wouldn't be better to separate the 2 conditioners therefore separating the stress on each. Just thinking outloud, I'm really not suggesting anything other than your opinion. Thanks!  :D

Cheers,
Robin

EricR

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2008, 11:43 pm »
Hi Robin,

Sorry if it wasn't clear. Here's the system schematized:

120V AC > BPT > BN Extreme > Lavry DA10 + Trends Audio UD10 (powered by a transformer that is NOT a swicthing PS)

120V AC > BN 2500 > Nuforce amps

Thus you can see the front end digital is as isolated as can be. Also, my comments about digititis are limited to the front end only. The Nuforce amps were never lacking, it's just that they are now extremely refined by additional filtering.

I have also found that using several large core snap on ferrite chokes on the usb cable has a profound benefit. I also use a quartz optical cable, rather than coax or balanced digital cable. And I use iTunes on a XP laptop using ASIO4ALL with Hardware Buffers @ 0ms, no latency compensation and ASIO sample buffers set to 2048. The Lavry has de-jittering, but every tiny upstream aberration  seems to get through anyway; I know that theoretically that shouldn't happen, but empirically it does.

Hope this makes it all clear. I am so gratified by this system and I know it couldn't perform at this level without the filters.

-Eric

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2008, 12:01 am »
Hi Robin,

Sorry if it wasn't clear. Here's the system schematized:

120V AC > BPT > BN Extreme > Lavry DA10 + Trends Audio UD10 (powered by a transformer that is NOT a swicthing PS)

120V AC > BN 2500 > Nuforce amps

Thus you can see the front end digital is as isolated as can be. Also, my comments about digititis are limited to the front end only. The Nuforce amps were never lacking, it's just that they are now extremely refined by additional filtering.

I have also found that using several large core snap on ferrite chokes on the usb cable has a profound benefit. I also use a quartz optical cable, rather than coax or balanced digital cable. And I use iTunes on a XP laptop using ASIO4ALL with Hardware Buffers @ 0ms, no latency compensation and ASIO sample buffers set to 2048. The Lavry has de-jittering, but every tiny upstream aberration  seems to get through anyway; I know that theoretically that shouldn't happen, but empirically it does.

Hope this makes it all clear. I am so gratified by this system and I know it couldn't perform at this level without the filters.

-Eric

Thanks Eric.  :notworthy:

That schematic makes a hell of a lot more sense to me,,in fact that's exactly how I was picturing it but I didn't realize you had 2 BN conditioners. I can see how that's 1 killer system and I'm just a little envious.  :lol: We do have things in common other than the use of a BPT. I also use a Trends UD 10.1 transport w/Channel Island VDC-SB power supply connected with a bolder Nitro DC cable and even tho I did download Asioforall, I found it unnecessary when i picked up the J. Rivers Media Center which has Asioforall built in as a plugin. I als9o use a Kimber USB cable which has builtin ferrite magnets. But then I change streams because of my multichannel preference and use a Crystal cable Digit to my Sunfire procesor.

Because I have my whole system tapped into my BPT 2.5, my mind started wandering when I first saw these conditioners, especially for use with my Butler 3150 amps. I would free up a lot of headroom just from removing those 2 multiple channel amps from my BPT but I', very limited for room. These Black Noise comditioners have the profile that make them very appealing,,, if they are all "that" to begin with. From your statements concerning their use in your system, this seems to be the case and sure enough, my mind begins to wander once again.  :duh: Thanks Eric.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin