Biamping RWA with Von Schweikert VR5SE question

Delacroix

Biamping RWA with Von Schweikert VR5SE question
« on: 5 Mar 2008, 02:47 pm »
Greetings -- first post to this group after searching for as much info as I can on RWA and finding this to be THE resource. I have an amp/speaker question which I hope has not been asked already (I have searched but you are also such a pleasant sounding bunch, unlike some lists, that I trust you'll tolerate any mistake on my part).

I have landed on my final speaker for the foreseeable future, a pair of Von Schweikert VR5SE, a two module design of relatively high efficiency (94 dB @ 1w/1m using 2.83V.). Von S strongly recommend biamping, and a popular set up is to combine SS on the bass modules with Tubes on top in a horizontal configuration. I am not too keen on tubes since I like to leave gear on most of the time and I have a young child who plays in our music space, so I've been considering other options, and RWA has started to really intrigue me.

I currently use a BAT VK 500 with double runs of speaker cable (Audio Arts SC5), one pair to the bass, one pair to the upper/mids, and it sounds very nice but I am keen to lose the bulky 150lbs hunk of hot metal which causes my PS Audio PPP conditioner to kick in the fan every few minutes, even when idle. So, to cut to the chase, has anyone employed a pair of RWA 70.2 monoblocks with these speakers, or better yet, has anyone tried biamping with RWA (either two pairs of monos or using a single amp on top, and a pair of monos on the bottom). Everything I read about the sound of these amps suggests they are smooth and super quiet (good things to my ears) but you know what they say about talking about sound.......

However, I listen to vinyl (VPI Airies) and CD/SACD (Marantz SA11s-1), for all kinds of music (and I mean ALL, ancient to modern, solo voice to metal). All feedback welcome. And btw, this is a great forum.

Thanks in advance

aaudioman

• http://www.hifidelityaudio.co.uk
Re: Biamping RWA with Von Schweikert VR5SE question
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2008, 10:03 am »
Hello Your loudspeakers will present no challenge for the 70 or 70.2 one monoblock pair will be more than sufficient  and you will hear
details and textures lost in your last amplifiers ,as Vinnie has stated befoe buy em and try em if you can't hear the improvement send em back  it is that simple.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Biamping RWA with Von Schweikert VR5SE question
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2008, 02:26 am »
Greetings -- first post to this group after searching for as much info as I can on RWA and finding this to be THE resource. I have an amp/speaker question which I hope has not been asked already (I have searched but you are also such a pleasant sounding bunch, unlike some lists, that I trust you'll tolerate any mistake on my part).

I have landed on my final speaker for the foreseeable future, a pair of Von Schweikert VR5SE, a two module design of relatively high efficiency (94 dB @ 1w/1m using 2.83V.). Von S strongly recommend biamping, and a popular set up is to combine SS on the bass modules with Tubes on top in a horizontal configuration. I am not too keen on tubes since I like to leave gear on most of the time and I have a young child who plays in our music space, so I've been considering other options, and RWA has started to really intrigue me.

I currently use a BAT VK 500 with double runs of speaker cable (Audio Arts SC5), one pair to the bass, one pair to the upper/mids, and it sounds very nice but I am keen to lose the bulky 150lbs hunk of hot metal which causes my PS Audio PPP conditioner to kick in the fan every few minutes, even when idle. So, to cut to the chase, has anyone employed a pair of RWA 70.2 monoblocks with these speakers, or better yet, has anyone tried biamping with RWA (either two pairs of monos or using a single amp on top, and a pair of monos on the bottom). Everything I read about the sound of these amps suggests they are smooth and super quiet (good things to my ears) but you know what they say about talking about sound.......

However, I listen to vinyl (VPI Airies) and CD/SACD (Marantz SA11s-1), for all kinds of music (and I mean ALL, ancient to modern, solo voice to metal). All feedback welcome. And btw, this is a great forum.

Thanks in advance

Hi Delacroix,

Welcome to the RWA forum!

I'm sure even the 30.2 would work very well with your VR5SE speakers!  8)

You will NOT be disappointed.

Best regards,

Vinnie