Should I toss my Nano?

Captain Humble

Should I toss my Nano?
« on: 5 Mar 2008, 01:09 am »
The last time I charged my Nano it showed charge complete.
When I turned it on the screen lit up but the control wheel and select button didn't work.
I hooked it up to iTunes and reloaded the Nano software.
Still dosen't work.  Can't even turn it off.  It eventually just turns itself off.

Anyone had this experience?
Is there an easy fix or should I toss it and buy a new one?

Thanks,
Jeff

Crimson

Re: Should I toss my Nano?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2008, 02:02 am »
I had my son's Nano go through the washer and drier. After letting it dry out completely, it powered back up like nothing had happened. Try this:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/nano/

SET Man

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2008, 03:24 am »
I had my son's Nano go through the washer and drier. After letting it dry out completely, it powered back up like nothing had happened. Try this:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/nano/

Hey!

Hmmm.... I didn't know that the Nano is washable and could be dry in the dryer? :lol:

Well, this definitely cost less then dry cleaning for sure! Well, now your son got a nice fresh Nano. :lol:

Amazing story. I'm surprised that it survived the washer and dryer. :o

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Captain Humble

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2008, 02:02 pm »
Unfortunately after following all the steps in the link, more than once, she's still locked up.  :(

My Nano is the first iteration and no longer under warranty.
It is a 4 gig which was the largest they made at that time.
Repair price on the web is $99
New battery about $50.

A new 4 gig Nano is $149.
They now make an 8 gig for $199.

I guess the next step is to head for the Apple store near me and see if they'll at least diagnose it and if not just buy a new one.

Thanks so much for the help.  :thumb:

Philistine

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2008, 02:55 pm »
Sorry you didn't fix your issue.  We have the latest Nano in the family and a couple of minis, battery life is still not a strength with the smaller ipods.  A few years ago I bought a Creative Zen for my own use, and more recently a Sandisk Clip.  The Zen is still going strong with great battery life, sound and vision, the Sandisk is about the same size as a ipod shuffle but has much more functionality - screen, sleep timer.
My wife and kids love their ipods because they're fashionable and accessories are easy to find.  I buy my mp3 players based on performance, features and value - but get screwed on trying to find accessories!

So if you're looking for a new player Apple is not the only game in town.

Toka

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2008, 10:49 pm »
Getting it checked out at the Apple Store is a good idea...worst case, you trade it in and get a discount on a new one (10% off).

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2008, 02:54 am »
That program does not include the shuffle, but it is free to have it looked at.

Captain Humble

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2008, 05:21 am »
I tried your suggestions and wound up at the Apple Store.
It was either a battery or a repair so I bought a new Nano.
Since my listening sessions are typically short and infrequent I went with the 4 gig.
The new Nano offers enhanced features so I got a bit more for my money than last time.
I gave them my old Nano and got 10% off.

I know apple isn't the only game in town, but since I already had one and have iTunes loaded up it meant no learning curve.  Just plug and play.

Thanks to all that responded. :thumb:
Jeff