KCI Cables - The whole sha-bang

Zero

KCI Cables - The whole sha-bang
« on: 1 Mar 2008, 08:12 am »
Gentlemen,

I've been a bit spoiled lately - John sent me his entire crop of cables (sans the SoundBolt) for evaluation. The list includes the;  Mandarina,  Firefly, Firefly SE, and the coveted Silkworms. Having the chance to toy around with them for the past two weeks, let me first thank John for giving me the opportunity to familiarize myself with his work - and what fine work he does! Second, at this point I feel confident in saying that his current products total up to what I feel is a very complete line. What each cable brings to the table is consistent and obvious. I look forward to sharing my impressions and findings in greater detail as time goes on. Hell, John's done such a good job reviewing the cables on his website, I feel that a formal review is nearly moot.  :lol: :lol: 

denjo

Re: KCI Cables - The whole sha-bang
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2008, 08:21 am »
Gentlemen,
... let me first thank John for giving me the opportunity to familiarize myself with his work - and what fine work he does! ...

Just ordered John's top-of-the line digital cable, the Pegasus, and am eager to try it on my system when it arrives next week! :) John's customer service, professionalism and suberb communication has been exemplary and imbues a great sense of confidence in his products. I hope someday I will have the $$$ to invest in the Silkworm range of ICs!

Best Regards
Dennis

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2008, 09:38 am »
A Pegasus has replaced a Green Hornet in my system and that cable reigned supreme for a long while over many cables.

denjo

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2008, 09:53 am »
pbstreetgang
Wow! Is the Pegasus still reigning supreme in your system? The Green Hornets were well reviewed by TAS.

Best Regards
Dennis

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2008, 10:02 am »
Dont get me wrong the GH is a great cable and Im still doing due diligence but the Pegasus is a bit more articulate without being sharp or killing the musicality. The bass grip is great, the GH is a bit warmer and pleasing in its own way but I think the big difference is the much better plugs of the KCI. I have always felt the GH arent as tight fitting as I would like and I know they are like $4 crimp ons which might be playing into my slight bias at this time.

kbuzz3

digital cable
« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2008, 02:45 pm »
I have been eyeing the pegasus for the past month.  I am attracted to early reports of its slightly warm presentation.  Id love to hear it up against my vh audio pulsars.

also thinking about the moray james......

Rx8man

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2008, 04:54 pm »
I ordered a heavier gauge (Gold positive only, Silver return stayed the same) Pegasus Digital Cable from John a few months back.

My previous Virtual Dynamics Revelation Signature was sold a week later, and that  cable was definately no slouch.

The Pegasus has a smoother, warmer presentation and sounded less electro-mechanical, while retaining all the great characteristics of the V.D.

The Pegasus is totally flexible and weighs a ton less, my RCA's thanked me.  :wink:

kbuzz3

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2008, 04:23 pm »
how much is the pegasus? 1M? 1.5m?

Rx8man

« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2008, 07:08 pm »
Kbuzz3,

Send John an email or call (512) 530-9041
« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2008, 06:42 am by Rx8man »

denjo

« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2008, 05:19 am »

The Pegasus has a smoother, warmer presentation and sounded less electro-mechanical, while retaining all the great characteristics of the V.D.

The Pegasus is totally flexible and weighs a ton less, my RCA's thanked me.  :wink:

The Pegasus arrived! I placed it between my SB3 and Altmann Attraction DAC. Rx8man's description of the Pegasus is spot on! Silky smooth, very analog sounding! John "cooked" the cables to save impatient me from burn in time! My previous cable, the Stereovox XV2, was far too bright and clinical sounding. I will spend more time with the cable before posting a more detailed review. I am already liking the cable .... it is so smooth! Thanks john for your excellent service and advice!

Best Regards
Dennis

guest1632

« Reply #10 on: 15 Mar 2008, 05:26 am »

The Pegasus arrived! I placed it between my SB3 and Altmann Attraction DAC. Rx8man's description of the Pegasus is spot on! Silky smooth, very analog sounding! John "cooked" the cables to save impatient me from burn in time! My previous cable, the Stereovox XV2, was far too bright and clinical sounding. I will spend more time with the cable before posting a more detailed review. I am already liking the cable .... it is so smooth! Thanks john for your excellent service and advice!

Best Regards
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

If you are looking at cables, give the Fireflies SE a listen. It was actually my idea. I have the first set. They are like the regular Fireflies, but a lot more forgiving.

Ray

Zero

« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2008, 05:44 am »
Without giving too much away; the Firefly SE's are certainly a very unique set of interconnects that exhibit powerful strengths - along with a hint of quirkyness..  :lol:

As an update; the review on the aforementioned cables is on target to hit the May issue! There will also be a few surprises within the article as well!

Cheers!

denjo

« Reply #12 on: 15 Mar 2008, 05:57 am »
Ray

Thanks for the head's up! Yes, I think I will give the Firefly SE a try but let me read Zero's review first!

Best Regards
Dennis

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2008, 12:25 pm »
Wow, how I missed this I have no idea....sorry about that Sean! Thank you for the kind words so far from everyone, I'm really looking forward to Zeros(Sean) review! I'm on pins & needles!! :thumb:

Dennis,
I didn't know you were here on AC. I sent you an email a while back, wanted to just check in and see how you liked the cable, but never got a reply back. I had been having email problems, seems either the receipient was getting multiple copies of my email or none at all. So, if you never got my email I apologize for the SNAFU. I hope you are doing well and still enjoying the cable! :thumb:

Regards,
John

denjo

« Reply #14 on: 20 Mar 2008, 12:38 pm »
Wow, how I missed this I have no idea....sorry about that Sean! Thank you for the kind words so far from everyone, I'm really looking forward to Zeros(Sean) review! I'm on pins & needles!! :thumb:

Dennis,
I didn't know you were here on AC. I sent you an email a while back, wanted to just check in and see how you liked the cable, but never got a reply back. I had been having email problems, seems either the receipient was getting multiple copies of my email or none at all. So, if you never got my email I apologize for the SNAFU. I hope you are doing well and still enjoying the cable! :thumb:

Regards,
John

Hi John
Good to hear from you! No, I did not receive any email from you so I guess it must have been because of the email problems you were encountering recently. The Pegasus digital cables are settling in very well into my system. I hope to post a more detailed report after I have spent more time with the cables. For the moment, the Pegasus looks likely to be a permanent fixture rather than a chattel!! Time to return my Stereovox XV2!!

Keep well!

Best Regards
Dennis

Ps, the workmanship and finish on the cables is par excellence!!

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #15 on: 3 Apr 2008, 02:43 pm »
Hey Dennis,

Good to hear from you and I'm glad you are enjoying the cable. "I think" I have my email working properly now so anytime you have a question/request just shoot me an email or pm me right here on AC. Take care and thank you!!

Sincerely,
John

guest1632

« Reply #16 on: 3 Apr 2008, 02:50 pm »
Hey Dennis,

Good to hear from you and I'm glad you are enjoying the cable. "I think" I have my email working properly now so anytime you have a question/request just shoot me an email or pm me right here on AC. Take care and thank you!!

Sincerely,
John

Hey John,

So when you gonna put those Gold Fireflies (Fireflies SE) on your website?

Ray

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #17 on: 4 Apr 2008, 12:13 pm »
Hi Ray,

Not sure if I am as they seem to have the same "traits" as the last silver/gold cables(named 50/50) I designed; they are excellent in some systems but quirky in others. It's a real hit and miss deal, not sure what I'll do actually. I could build them on request no problem.

I do plan/need to have my website redone so I can add power cords, speaker cables etc. Just haven't found the time and money to do that lately.

Hope you are doing well and enjoying your system!

Sincerely,
John

guest1632

« Reply #18 on: 4 Apr 2008, 12:23 pm »
Hi Ray,

Not sure if I am as they seem to have the same "traits" as the last silver/gold cables(named 50/50) I designed; they are excellent in some systems but quirky in others. It's a real hit and miss deal, not sure what I'll do actually. I could build them on request no problem.

I do plan/need to have my website redone so I can add power cords, speaker cables etc. Just haven't found the time and money to do that lately.

Hope you are doing well and enjoying your system!

Sincerely,
John

Hey Mr. John,

Well, must confess, haven't really used the stereo lately. The speakers are placed in a horrible spot. I have to get the amp upgraded to one last mod. The looking for the tube preamp is still ongoing.

Ray Bronk

kbuzz3

« Reply #19 on: 6 Apr 2008, 03:14 pm »
can someone post on the SE and their relation to the rest of the line...saving my ducats for a pegasus digital in the meantime.....