iPod Touch Questions

Nels Ferre

iPod Touch Questions
« on: 29 Feb 2008, 07:21 pm »
Hi All,

I am getting ready to buy an I Pod for use in my car, as the factory BMW CD changer in my 3 series has finally taken a dump.  I am between a Classic and a Touch.

This leads to my question....will the Touch be able to act as a remote control at home using ITunes 7.6 for Windows?  It would be cool if it could.....

Thanks,
Nels

Crimson

Re: iPod Touch Questions
« Reply #1 on: 29 Feb 2008, 08:29 pm »
I'm not aware of it being able to be used as a remote in Windows (I could be wrong). I know it can do so for a Mac using Remote Buddy.

jmc207

« Reply #2 on: 29 Feb 2008, 08:45 pm »
You can at least turn it into a touchpad that will control your PC according to the video on this link:
http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=239826

Blackmore

« Reply #3 on: 29 Feb 2008, 09:00 pm »
Alloysoft markets "Signal" as a controller for iTunes and Windows Media.  It lets you log onto your wifi network and then scroll through your iTunes library.  $30 and it works just fine on my Mac.

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2008, 03:14 am »
Alloysoft markets "Signal" as a controller for iTunes and Windows Media.  It lets you log onto your wifi network and then scroll through your iTunes library.  $30 and it works just fine on my Mac.

Perfect timing! I have a promotion starting march 1st for 20% off Signal. Here is the link to the code http://www.computeraudiophile.com/node/312

low.pfile

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2008, 03:29 am »
Signal Rocks for ease of use.

boead

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2008, 03:46 am »
I just replaced my old 3G iPod 20gig with an iPod Touch 32gig. I absolutely love it!

Nels Ferre

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2008, 03:48 am »
Hi All,

Thanks for the input. I had originally decided to get the Classic, but the more I thought about it (and that discount on the software  :roll:) I changed my order to the Touch.

Apple is running some pretty good deals right now on the iPods on their refurbished site, BTW.   :)

How does the Signal software get istalled? Does it go on the iPod or my PC?

Nels

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2008, 03:53 am »
Hi All,

Thanks for the input. I had originally decided to get the Classic, but the more I thought about it (and that discount on the software  :roll:) I changed my order to the Touch.

Apple is running some pretty good deals right now on the iPods on their refurbished site, BTW.   :)

How does the Signal software get istalled? Does it go on the iPod or my PC?

Nels

It installs on your PC (or Mac) and is so easy you won't believe it. Since the iPhone / iPod Touch SDK hasn't been released yet, there aren't any non-Apple applications that can be installed on the device yet.

rydenfan

« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2008, 07:59 pm »
I use a custom skin on my ipod touch as a remote control for my Transporter and Squeezebox, it works great!! I can post the link if anybody is interested?

mr_bill

« Reply #10 on: 6 Mar 2008, 10:11 pm »
I use a custom skin on my ipod touch as a remote control for my Transporter and Squeezebox, it works great!! I can post the link if anybody is interested?

Yes, please!

rydenfan

« Reply #11 on: 7 Mar 2008, 02:34 am »
Here is the link:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/?page_id=3

Here are the steps I did:
1. Install SqueezeCenter
2. Download iPeng037.zip
3. go to the SqueezeCenter preference pane and then right click and go to "Show Package Contents" or just go to /Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/HTML
4. Copy iPeng037.zip here
5. unzip iPeng037.zip
6. Find out about your computer's IP address
7. Go to <IP-Adress>:9000/ipeng with the iPod browser.
8. Bookmark (or webclip) this page.
9. Have fun.

I think this is so cool that I am able to use my touch as a remote! And it saves me the money of buying the Controller.

pardales

« Reply #12 on: 10 Apr 2008, 04:28 am »
Am I understanding this right?

I have a Powerbook G4 hooked up to my DAC via USB. This set-up happens to be in a different room than my speakers. With the Touch, and the software mentioned above, I can use the Touch as a wireless remote to control my iTunes?  If so, COOL!

Thanks for your help,

low.pfile

« Reply #13 on: 10 Apr 2008, 07:30 am »
Am I understanding this right?

I have a Powerbook G4 hooked up to my DAC via USB. This set-up happens to be in a different room than my speakers. With the Touch, and the software mentioned above, I can use the Touch as a wireless remote to control my iTunes?  If so, COOL!

Thanks for your help,

Yes, you have it right. it works well. I use Signal.

-ed

oris98

« Reply #14 on: 10 Apr 2008, 08:59 am »
Can I use an Ipod Touch to run Signal to control Foobar200 running on my Vista Notebook ?    Thanks

Crimson

« Reply #15 on: 10 Apr 2008, 12:22 pm »
Can I use an Ipod Touch to run Signal to control Foobar200 running on my Vista Notebook ?    Thanks

Unfortunately, no. Signal will work on a PC to control iTunes, Winamp, and WMP, but not Foobar.

pardales

« Reply #16 on: 10 Apr 2008, 12:42 pm »
Signal vs Remote Buddy?

Crimson

« Reply #17 on: 10 Apr 2008, 12:49 pm »
Signal vs Remote Buddy?

Remote Buddy is Mac-only, but has the ability to control more than just iTunes. It has mappable functionality to emulate control of other remotes as well as applications.

Both have a trial version available so you may want to try them out and see which is to your liking.

pardales

« Reply #18 on: 10 Apr 2008, 01:07 pm »
Makes sense. Try both. I don't currently use iTunes for volume so really am only looking to be able to control my selection of album/song.

If I am planning on only using the iTouch as a remote, and not primarily as in iPod, then I should be okay with the 8GB version? I have a 80B video iPod as well.  :thumb:

Thank you,

Crimson

« Reply #19 on: 10 Apr 2008, 02:02 pm »
Makes sense. Try both. I don't currently use iTunes for volume so really am only looking to be able to control my selection of album/song.

If I am planning on only using the iTouch as a remote, and not primarily as in iPod, then I should be okay with the 8GB version? I have a 80B video iPod as well.  :thumb:

Thank you,

If that's all you'll use it for, sure.