Adventures With the Dayton HPSA 1000-R Bass Amplifier

Housteau

I was doing a little tweaking the other day on my VLAs and really learned to appreciate even more that little Dayton HPSA 1000-R Bass Amp.  I had been using that single parametric band of EQ to flatten out the lowest frequencies coming out of those towers, since their design has them starting to roll off a bit before 20Hz.  But, I recently found a better use for it.

Early on I had graphed my room response 1Hz at a time in the bass region when I had first set-up and positioned the bass towers for their best performance.  I then used the features of that bass amp to dial things in even more and made a new graph.  I recently took another look at this new graph and realized that I had missed something.

My room only has one peak of concern and that is around 4-5 db @ 37Hz.  Just above that is a deeper dip at around 48Hz.  Then, just above that is the point at which my bass towers begin to roll in.  As I looked at this it suddenly became clear what I could do here and I could not believe that I had been missing it all this time.

I set both amp controls back to zero, except the gains and set-up my disk of test tones.  First I increased the gains by about 5-6 db to bring the tone @ 20 Hz up to the flat reading.  I did this by comparing it to other readings of frequencies I already know to be flat.  Then, I used that single band of parametric EQ to notch out the peak @ 37Hz, which had now increased another 5-6 db with the increase in gain.  My hope was that this boost in gain would also help fill that dip @ 48Hz.

The end result after dialing everything back in is now a flat response from <20 – 42Hz and to the rest of the higher frequency spectrum.  Unfortunately though the dip centered @ 48Hz remained unchanged.  I remember reading on this forum that enormous amounts of power are often required to fill in such dips, and so I now see this is true.  It is a good thing that my ears are less sensitive to that dip than they were to that peak at 37Hz.

miklorsmith

Re: Adventures With the Dayton HPSA 1000-R Bass Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2008, 03:44 pm »
My recent experience with the Room EQ Wizard showed me that as much as I trust my ears with most things, they weren't anywhere near microphones and measurements in giving me feedback to fix the bass.  Your "peak vs. null" observation is consistent with what others have said, the bumps are far more intrusive than the holes.

Nice work!   :D