Please help the technically challenged with toroid wiring

sjd

Hi, I have a Hammond Toroidal (182L6) toroidal transformer with dual secondary.  I want to run it with the "secondary in series" mode to get 12v 2.5A output.  I wired the thing up with the primary in series, and the secondary in series, and got 6.7v output.   :roll:

So...I am thinking I made a mistake and should run the primary in parallel configuration to get 12v?  As you can see, I have NO idea what I am doing.  :?

I did at least triple check that I connected as the diagram indicated, I just think I made the mistake as above.  Or is the thing defective?  :|

Here's the mfr site with specs etc.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/182.htm

Thanks for any help guys, I promise if this works, I will quit diy when AC is involved! ;)

_scotty_

Re: Please help the technically challenged with toroid wirin
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2003, 01:59 am »
Quote from: sjd
Hi, I have a Hammond Toroidal (182L6) toroidal transformer with dual secondary.  I want to run it with the "secondary in series" mode to get 12v 2.5A output.  I wired the thing up with the primary in series, and the secondary in series, and got 6.7v output.   :roll:

So...I am thinking I made a mistake and should run the primary in parallel configuration to get 12v?  As you can see, I have NO idea what I am doing.  :?

I did at least triple check that I connected as the diagram indicated, I just think ...

Scroll to the bottom of the page you linked to.Read the diagram. The primary is connected in parallel. follow the directions on the page regarding the primary.The black and brown wires are connected together and the orange and white wire are connected together.
This maintains proper phasing of the primary. If you had 220volts incoming you would have the desired 12volts out with the primary in series. you have 110volts coming in so the primary has to wired in parallel to produce 12volts out.
 Good luck.

randytsuch

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2003, 02:15 am »
Hey, there used to be a reply from borg here, what happend to it?

Randy

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2003, 04:17 am »
He was confused.

The primaries need to be in parallel :-)

randytsuch

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2003, 04:38 pm »
Quote from: JohnR
He was confused.

The primaries need to be in parallel :-)

Shows what happens when a moderator tries to give technical advice.  :lol:  :lol:

Randy