Re-mastering with the BCD-1

Mag

Re-mastering with the BCD-1
« on: 26 Feb 2008, 06:10 am »
I've had this idea for awhile, that the BCD-1 can be used as a re-mastering tool.
Today I finally got down to trying the idea.
Taking a re-mastered rock cd that IMO is not quite up to other remastered cds standards, but better than the original release. Recording it with the BCD-1 then burning it to cd. Then playing it back through the BCD-1
Impressions are that the music is much clearer smoother and a tad more natural sounding with body. However others may perceive it to be to sterile as well as shrill in the highs. This would certainly be a personal preference as to whether it's an improvement, and would depend on your speaker preference as well.
Then I played the cd in my Sony NS9100ES. This would be basically the equivalent of playing the original copy in the BCD-1.
Conclusion, this cd played with less revealing player is definitely of higher re-mastered quality than original. Whether it's better up-scaled a second time played in the BCD-1 is subjective.

More cd's in the works. :D

Mag

Re: Re-mastering with the BCD-1
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2008, 04:16 am »
Second cd, the LP was originally released way back when, the recording of the live event was dark and dull. The cd version released many years later although better clarity was still dark and dull.

Same procedure as above 'cept I'll add with no effects, wave strength at 85%, line level 79% and volume 81%.

Re sampled and up scaled a second time, the recording is no longer dark & dull. Instruments are distinct and sharp without any hint of being sterile or shrill. Bass boominess is reduced sounding natural.
I was going to say that I am the first to hear the closest sound reproduction of this live event since it was recorded. However with a recently released re-mastered version someone may have beat me to it. :roll:

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2009, 10:23 pm »
Out of curiousity I ordered the re-mastered ELP- Show that Never Ends, to compare with my restored version using the BCD-1 process of upsampling 128x32x128.

The official re-mastered version has more bass precence that I instantly noticed, this however was only marginal. Swapping discs, I couldn't be sure of any other significant difference other than the BCD- 1 restore disc seemed to have warmer mid-range.

I'm content knowing I can restore cds to near that of professional re-mastering technics with the simple BCD-1 restore process. Which should be even simpler using a BDA-1.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2009, 10:40 pm »
Interesting. How could this be?

niels

« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2009, 10:56 pm »
It cant, might be gain playing tricks.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2009, 11:22 pm »
Probably.

jethro

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2009, 01:25 pm »
Mag:

Are you recording the line-out of the BCD-1 with a computer sound card  in the first step ?

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2009, 02:24 pm »
Mag:

Are you recording the line-out of the BCD-1 with a computer sound card  in the first step ?

Yep, I think it helps to have a dedicated soundcard. I tried it on another computer with just the onboard soundcard, with poor results.

If the recording is really bad, you may have to do it a second time, after saving it to a disc. Rush-Exit Stage Left is a good example.