Anyone else using an Apple TV?

Crimson

Anyone else using an Apple TV?
« on: 24 Feb 2008, 11:57 pm »
I have a first generation Apple TV (40GB) with the latest firmware (2.0). It's set up to receive a stream (802.11n wifi) from my main system's iMac for music, and also has about 10,000 digital photos stored on it. It's hooked up to the system in my family room using the optical out for audio and component out for video (I need to look in to an HDMI switcher). Other than using it as this systems main music source, it's a blast for watching YouTube on a large screen. I haven't used it for movies at all, at least not yet.

Does anyone else use one of these?

John151

Re: Anyone else using an Apple TV?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2008, 12:42 am »
I have been curious about these for a while, but don't really think I have a need. 

zacster

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2008, 09:51 pm »
How does YouTube look on the large screen?  I only ask because I find it grainy enough on the small screen.

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2008, 09:59 pm »
How does YouTube look on the large screen?  I only ask because I find it grainy enough on the small screen.

Pretty bad. Although some times you luck out. Same with the audio. It's more the novelty and convenience. I can punch in 'Peter Gabriel' and BAM............. a gazillion PG videos, both live and produced, to watch.

Crimson

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2008, 10:24 pm »
FYI, last night while tinkering around in iTunes, I discovered that the latest version of firmware coupled with the latest version of iTunes enables the ATV to show up as a remote speaker destination in iTunes (just like an Airport Express). It works great, and no intervention/configuration of the ATV is required.