any experiences with bryston phono preamps???

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
any experiences with bryston phono preamps???
« on: 22 Feb 2008, 09:30 pm »
 hi all,

would like to know if anyone has made some experiences with bryston phono preamps- especially the new outboard bps 1.5.

the built in phono option in any bryston preamp is also welcome.

thanx,

al.

alexone

Re: any experiences with bryston phono preamps??
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2008, 08:33 pm »

hi, all!

there is a nice review ''vinyl vs cd''.

to be found under www.hometheaterhifi.com

they used following gear: bryston bp 1.5 outboard phono stage (mc), bryston bcd-1 cd-player and mcintosh's new turntable.

cheers!

alex.

Stu Pitt

Re: any experiences with bryston phono preamps???
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2008, 05:23 pm »
I have a built in phono stage in my Bryston B60.  I've been told (by James Tanner) that the phono boards in all their gear is the same.  The separate phono stages have a separate power supply, which has a lot of benefits - less noise, better channel separation, etc.

The phono stage (MM) in my B60 sounds very good to my ears.  It's on par with everything else Bryston makes.  It sounds very natural to my ears.  I've auditioned a few different phono stages in the $500 region, and none were better to my ears; just different.

I run a Pro-Ject 1Xpression with speed box and acrylic platter, and a Dynavector 10x5.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

alexone

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2008, 06:24 pm »

hi, stu!

thanx for response. i have a bp 26 preamp and i am thinking about upgrading my system with the built in phono mc/mm board.

i would like to get a mc cartridge. what do you think about benz micro gold or denon dl 103r ??

my turntable is an acoustic signature ''Final Tool'', rega 300 tonearm, audio technica at 95 (mm) cartridge.

phono preamp is clearaudio smartphono.

amp is bryston 4 bsst (c-series) and sonus faber cremona speakers. cd player is a bcd-1.

cheers,

al. :wink:

Stu Pitt

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2008, 02:59 pm »
Sorry Alex, I forgot about this thread...

I really don't have any experience with any of your gear, so I can't comment too much.

Even though my phono section is MM, it works very well with my Dynavector 10x5 (2.5 mV MC).  If any cartridges you're contemplating have this or similar output, a Bryston MM section should be fine.  I'm not the biggest expert on this, so I have to defer to someone else.

The Rega RB300 is an excellent tonearm, and should be fine with your choices.  I've heard it with a 10x5, and it sounds excellent with it too.  Keep in mind that the tonearm is only one part of the chain though.

I haven't heard anything made by Clearaudio, so I have no idea what their house sound is like to be able to say if the Bryston phono stage would or wouldn't be an improvement.

You may want to post this in the Bryston circle, as you'll probably get more opinions and experiences with their phono stages.