Help Adding art to Itunes-my homemade music files

kbuzz3

Help Adding art to Itunes-my homemade music files
« on: 22 Feb 2008, 08:41 pm »
Stupid question if anyone can help. I have a large collection of my own recordings, saved mostly to flac on my hard drives. I would like to put some of them on my ipod but I I understand that itunes does not play flac. Previously in order to get them to my itunes, i have been using "flac front end" which i guess converts them to wav. i then add a new play list and drag n drop the file contents and all is ok in audio land. 

Recently i recalled i had artwork for many of these shows and would like to add an "art cover" to each show/playlist but the drag n drop function does not seem to work.  Checking itunes "adding artwork" on the help it says art cant be added to wav files.  IS this the reason the art will not add? Any thoughts

If this is, is there a simpiler way to convert the flac concerts for quick transfer to ipod -which will then allow drag n drop art?

Thanks

low.pfile

Re: Help Adding art to Itunes-my homemade music files
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2008, 09:12 pm »
I don't know a way to FLAC to ipod with the ability to add artwork. if you don't mind compressed most of the other formats allow artwork.

I do know that WAV does not allow the (I think it is called Metadata) tags, so no artwork can be associated to the file in iTunes. I tried this myself and found that out a while back.

What you can do (a workaround) is to change the WAV song/concert to AIFF (Which will be a direct copy of your WAV-note file size is identical) AIFF allows adding Album Art. Or you can choose a compressed format instead.

To convert:

In iTunes Preferences go to Advanced > Importing> Import using:
then select the AIFF Encoder or other choice

Now in your Music Library select the song you want to convert.
In the top menu bar under Advanced:
Choose Convert selection to AIFF

-You can Apple/Cmd key click multiple songs to convert multiple songs
-The original WAV file will remain in your library.

hopefully someone will inform you of a one step FLAC to compatible format.

kbuzz3

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2008, 09:22 pm »
I don't know a way to FLAC to ipod with the ability to add artwork. if you don't mind compressed most of the other formats allow artwork.

I do know that WAV does not allow the (I think it is called Metadata) tags, so no artwork can be associated to the file in iTunes. I tried this myself and found that out a while back.

What you can do (a workaround) is to change the WAV song/concert to AIFF (Which will be a direct copy of your WAV-note file size is identical) AIFF allows adding Album Art. Or you can choose a compressed format instead.

To convert:

In iTunes Preferences go to Advanced > Importing> Import using:
then select the AIFF Encoder or other choice

Now in your Music Library select the song you want to convert.
In the top menu bar under Advanced:
Choose Convert selection to AIFF

-You can Apple/Cmd key click multiple songs to convert multiple songs
-The original WAV file will remain in your library.

hopefully someone will inform you of a one step FLAC to compatible format.

tahnks so much for the work around. An equally stupid question. The flac files im talking about are on a hard drive.  how does one ad them to the itunes libarary.  Ive tried the import file...nothing....ive also tried a drag n drop to library.....thanks. Maybe it has to be converted from flac to another format first

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2008, 09:57 pm »
Maybe it has to be converted from flac to another format first

Yup. iTunes doesn't recognize flac files, so it won't add them to the library. You can try a program called Max (sbooth.org) which can batch convert your flac files to alac or aiff, which you can then add to your library.