Reference 1's excellent shape

heyeugenio

Reference 1's excellent shape
« on: 22 Feb 2008, 05:43 pm »
Hello all,

I'm trying other single-driver/ concentric designs and horns (yes, again) so I'm selling off these practically new Morrow Audio Ref 1's.  These are the original version with a single 10" full-range driver in a monitor/stand mount cabinet.

I am so entranced with single driver technology now that I've lunged head first down yet another rabbit hole in audiophilia.

They originally retailed for $1495 and since they're only a few months old I figured I'd let them go at a Firesale price of $750obo.

I've got all the double boxing materials so I don't have any issues shipping them.  Shipping is at the buyer's expense of course.

I'm driving them with 10 watts of class A tube power at the moment and I can heartily say that they are very very impressive.

Being "full-range" drivers you could run these without a sub however I do have my HGS-10 for the lowest octaves and I have to say the combination shames many full range dynamic speakers in the multi thousand dollar range.  One speaker that comes to mind with great dynamics and presence are B&W 802's.

No offense to 802 owners but this combination with my gear and in my room makes music better than many others that I've heard.

There is a special sense of ease that single/concentric x-overless drivers have that tend to retrieve details and just get out of the way. 

I'm hooked but I've also promised "The Boss" that before the project is done I would clear some things out of the living room...again.

I will post pics later today.

The drivers are in picture perfect condition - they have been kindly broken-in with a combination of pink/white noise and frequency sweeps c/o a Stereophile Test disc.

For a brief description of staging and imaging capabilities:  I can hear well passed the front wall, deep, and I'm talking about 10-15 passed the front wall and way beyond either outer edge of the speakers.

Last night I was listening to Dee Dee Bridgewater and I heard a trumpet sitting about 7 ft behind Dee Dee to her right as I'm facing the stage.   I was deep in the middle of a report I was writing and I couldn't help but drop everything I was doing and absorb the song and her seductive voice in the middle of my living room.

Drop me a line or pm any questions.

I've got great audiogon feedback: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fb.pl?user=Auditude&&&&

And speaking of a'gon, these are by far, the lowest priced Morrow Audio speakers at the moment.  Like I stated, "Firesale" pricing to go fast.

Thanks and happy listening!

heyeugenio

Re: Reference 1's excellent shape PICS added
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2008, 07:14 am »

this last one's dark - I may add additional pics later.
pics added as promised.

heyeugenio

more pics
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2008, 04:56 pm »

blownrx7

Re: Reference 1's excellent shape
« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2008, 07:35 pm »
These appear to be Morrow Audio Presence Speakers (NOT Reference 1's)
http://www.morrowaudio.com/presence.htm

heyeugenio

They MAY appear that way but...
« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2008, 05:50 am »
If you read correctly these have a 10" single driver while the Presence have an 8" single driver.

This is the original Ref. 1 from Morrow.  Mike Morrow will gladly set it straight.

Thx for the bump tho. aa

blownrx7

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2008, 01:03 pm »
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.
Too bad Morrow doesn't include info for discontinued items on his website.
I'm not very knowledgeable of the line so this extra info is greatly appreciated.

Your welcome :wink:

heyeugenio

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2008, 05:57 pm »
Too bad Morrow doesn't include info for discontinued items on his website.
Yeah, I have to agree.  Why Mike doesn't offer this info on his site is weird.

Why he changed the Ref 1's from a single 10" to a dual 8" is also beyond me.  You really don't have a point source with 2 drivers firing in different directions.  He calls it, "Ambience" driver but I think it just muddies up the image.

After opening up a buddy's pair of the newer version there really wasn't much going on inside to make the presentation or performance improve.

Agreed, the image has height to it but IMHO the newer design takes away from what folks that are interested in SET, single driver and hi-eff designs are really looking for - a direct representation of the signal from source to speaker with no x/o, resistance or capacitance to get in the way.

Both my buddy and I found the "ambient" information on the single driver version to portray a much more honest representation of the actual event.  Proper placement and comparable equipment took care of the height and width of the soundstage and imaging.

In fact, there are many folks that prefer the 10" AN Super to the 6-8" inchers because of it's dynamics and overall balance of sound.  There is NO super tweeter needed and I ran it full range with no active or passive x/o.  I had my Velo HGS-10 kick in @ 60-70 hz to "compliment" the Morrows.

I really want to try an OB design with the same AN Super 10" that Morrow was using.  I just have to clear out some things and find a design that "presentable" and acceptable to "The Boss" before I start cutting.

At any rate, these are PENDING at this time.

Hope this helps RX-7 and welcome to the boards! :beer: