Time-aligned speakers ... a waste of time?

Daryl

Re: Time-aligned speakers ... a waste of time?
« Reply #20 on: 20 Feb 2008, 06:09 am »
Daryl, have had any success at applying his transient perfect crossover information to your own DIY designs. I was looking over his Generalized Filler Driver crossover spreadsheet and it certainly looks like you could produce a phase coherent 3way with this approach.
Scotty

Hi Scotty,

I am not really interested in implementing a TP design myself.

Mine in the picture are LR4 at 80hz and 3khz.

It would be nice if I could upload filter kernels to my processor which have inverse LR4 transfer functions at my crossover frequencies and have a TP system without losing any of my systems capabilities or it's simplicity.

The filler driver type systems are doable.

The filler driver has first order rolloffs though and phase tracking will be important over a very wide band which will require meticulous sculpting of it's response and verification through measurements.

andyr

Re: Time-aligned speakers ... a waste of time?
« Reply #21 on: 20 Feb 2008, 09:53 am »

I don't think that JLM meant that it wasn't important, (don't want to speak for him or anyone else), I just think that the amount of audio information down there is far less than in higher frequencies in most music.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean when you say "the amount of audio information down there is far less than in higher frequencies in most music"?  :?

There may not be much "information" down there but I want to hear the lowest pipes in my Bach organ music!  :D  IE. 20 f'ing Hz!   :D  (And, yes, my room is long enough to support this.)

Regards,

Andy