International Guitar Night

Gordy

International Guitar Night
« on: 19 Feb 2008, 02:36 am »
Tomorrow night at 11:00pm eastern time the radio program "Echoes" will be hosting...  "A LIVING ROOM CONCERT WITH INTERNATIONAL GUITAR NIGHT II: BRIAN GORE, MIGUEL DE LA BASTIDE, CLIVE CARROLL AND D'GARY"

"International guitar night is a rotating cast of renowned guitarist put together by Bay Area picker, Brian Gore. We gather the latest batch of players, Miguel De La Bastide, Clive Carroll and D'Gary for a round of virtuoso duos, trios and quartets that include haunting African tunes and raging flamenco."

The show can be streamed from XPN... http://www.xpn.org/listen_live/listen.php 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: International Guitar Night
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2008, 02:54 am »
I bet it'll sound better from my CD.  :lol: For those who haven't yet picked up this CD tho, it's a good chance to hear what you've been missing,,, good find Gordy.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Gordy

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2008, 02:58 am »
I bet it'll sound better from my CD.

Cheers,
Robin

Perhaps but, this isn't the cd, it's a live "studio concert"  8)  The live segment of the show (IGN) will probably start about 11:30. 

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2008, 05:11 am »
I bet it'll sound better from my CD.

Cheers,
Robin

Perhaps but, this isn't the cd, it's a live "studio concert"  8)  The live segment of the show (IGN) will probably start about 11:30. 

Whoww, that makes a world of difference.  :o I thought the station wasjust playing the whole album.  :roll: My bad. Is this internet radio and if so what channel? "Echos" doesn't tell me much but if it's on Shoutcast, I'll find it. Maybe a link would also help.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

sorry Gordy, i need to read a post before posting. I never saw your link. :banghead:
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2008, 05:22 am by satfrat »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2008, 05:14 am »

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2008, 05:19 am »
Thanks Chris!!!!  :notworthy: I know what I'll be doing tomorrow night @ 11pm.  :D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2008, 05:21 am »
Thanks Chris!!!!  :notworthy: I know what I'll be doing tomorrow night @ 11pm.  :D
Hope I can get home by 11PM..... :?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2008, 05:23 am »
I got this station's address in my Favorites.  I like the local programming on this station.  That would include Echoes.   

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2008, 05:39 am »
I got this station's address in my Favorites.  I like the local programming on this station.  That would include Echoes.   

It'll be in mine now,, once I download Itunes for Podcasts.

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2008, 06:45 am »

Is it possible to add this station to my favorites list in Squeeze Network (Squeeze Box)?  How do I do that?  I have not figured out how to add anything to my favorites that isn't found via the Squeeze Network browse function.

Russell Dawkins

Re: International Guitar Night III
« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2008, 07:21 am »
thanks for your enthusiastic support, Gordy, Chris, Jim, Robin and all.

I just finished recording all the material for the IGN III CD yesterday.

I got up at 5:55, drove "up island" to Duncan set up on the stage of the Cowichan Theatre and after the musicians arrived at around 10:30 we recorded all the solo pieces and went for lunch at 2.
At 3 we came back and recorded all the duets and both quartets, then broke for supper.
5:30 - 6:30 we had supper while the lights were being done for the show that night.
Photos from 6:30 - 7:00, doors at 7, show at 7:30, over at 10PM.
15 minutes after the show to re-do a solo piece a couple of times, then tear down, pack up leave the theatre at 11:00PM for the drive back to Victoria. In bed by 12:30.

A long day, but rewarding. This year is delightfully different from last year and quite charming. This is the lineup:

Brian Gore of San Francisco (organizer of the whole IGN concept) - steel 6 string
Dale Kavanagh of Germany and Toronto - nylon 6 string. A classical-only artist, this is her first time performing anything other than classical. She absolutely loved it.
Cecilia Zabala of Argentina - nylon 7 string and vocals
Andy Sheppard of Toronto - steel 6 string. Andy is a CBC national radio program host ("Signal" 10PM - 1AM, CBC Radio 2, Mon - Thurs) and is very knowledgeable about music and musicians.

The duets and quartets were outstanding and I'm sure their fans will be delighted. The word that kept coming to me after many of the collaborations was "charming". Gentle music and often very heartfelt.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2008, 07:29 am »
A long day indeed Russell....but I bet it went fast....and was enjoyable.. 8)

Looking forward to IGN III Cd....how long will it be before it is released ? Thanks...

Chris

Cowichan Theatre ....nice place !

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2008, 03:22 pm »
It was fun, but by the end of the day everyone was pretty exhausted. It's now the morning of the second day after and I'm feeling pretty wiped - and I have to do an orchestra recording today and tomorrow, but thankfully only 3 hour sessions each.

The IGN III CD will be released around July.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #13 on: 20 Feb 2008, 04:26 am »
http://www.xpn.org/listen_live/listen.php

5 Minutes till show time.... :thumb:

Gordy

« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2008, 04:42 am »
I'm blessed with great reception tonight  :green: 

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #15 on: 20 Feb 2008, 04:47 am »
What a great night. Wilco and now IGN.  Thanks all. In the early '70s, a morning WXPN show "Homegrown" introduced me to a lot of great folk music.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #16 on: 20 Feb 2008, 05:34 am »
I just tuned in. It's 9:30 local and 12:30 EST. What I'm hearing (on xpn96/Echoes) has nothing to do with IGN.

Has the segment finished? Did anyone hear it??

Just curious. I don't need to hear it but I wondered if A. it got out there and B. whether it was my recording of them or something else.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 20 Feb 2008, 05:37 am »
A 1/2 hour show?  :scratch: Looks like the only way to get the real deal is to subscribe to Echos, you only get bits and pieces at WXPN. But I gotta say for a 96Kbps, it's one of the best internet channels I've ever heard. I've got this channel saved and I love their varied playlist. Good stuff.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

jcpix

« Reply #18 on: 20 Feb 2008, 05:37 am »
Hi Russell,

The ING segment ended at 12:00 est.  Sounded great.  It seemed like it was done in a studio with a DJ doing short bits between songs.

Gordy

« Reply #19 on: 20 Feb 2008, 05:40 am »
It wasn't your recording Russell, it was a "live" show they did for the program.  I thought D'Gary sounded especially good but, it was all over in 30 mins, just a small taste...