analog97

Phono pre-amp gain: Is this possible?
« on: 16 Feb 2008, 01:08 am »
I have seen the following specs published for a phono pre-amp:

Phono Stage:
MM: 70 dB, 5 mV
MC High: 85 dB, 0.5 mV – 1.5 mV
MC Low: 95 dB, 0.25 mV – 0.5 mV

Based on my understanding, these gains look impossibly high and frankly, wrong.  For my 0.3 mv cartridge, 95db gain would produce about 16 Volts!!  I wrote to the company weeks ago and was told my question was "referred to the engineer".  I don't believe the engineer is interested in getting back to me!! :green: :green:   Simple question to you folks:  Did I miss something?  Anybody ever hear of this high level of gain?   Thanks.

hagtech

Re: Phono pre-amp gain: Is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2008, 04:57 am »
Well, it's not impossible.  Perhaps impractical.  Some folks like to have a lot of reserve gain on hand.  That way they don't have to turn the volume knob past 12:00.  I believe such is emotionally and psychologically comforting. 

Could be the product includes a linestage?  Maybe they measure at 20Hz?

jh

tketcham

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2008, 06:39 am »
Well, I've been using a Jolida JD9 for a couple years and, yes, the gain settings seem to be valid. There may be some uncertainty as to how the output voltages are measured, but my experience with MM/HOMC/LOMC cartridges using the JD9 seems be consistent with the gain levels of other phono stages. That is, the 70/85/95 dB gain settings seem to be relatively true in comparison with lower gain settings using other preamps. The JD9 may have been designed for people wanting analog output levels similar to cd player output levels; no need to turn up the phono or turn down the cdp to have the same volume levels for a given volume setting of the amp. Here are a couple links to discussions about the JD9 gain levels:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=vinyl&n=597588&highlight=jd9+gain&r=&session=

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/45/451517.html

Tom

analog97

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2008, 09:43 pm »
Well, I've been using a Jolida JD9 for a couple years and, yes, the gain settings seem to be valid.

I just still don't get it.  When I do the math, I get over 16 Volts output for my Denon 103!!  I've just never heard of phono gain this high.  Do the math using a 7mv MM cart at the advertised 70db gain.  I remain in Missouri on these published specs for the Jolida.  Thanks for those posts, but they don't answer the question either.

tketcham

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2008, 05:14 am »
Analog97,
I'm not arguing against your assumption but the gain is so high at the 95 dB setting using a 2.5mV cartridge that I cannot play an album because the signal levels cause the amp to distort. And there is a low level RCA output that is provided for high output cartridges because even the 70 dB gain is probably too high for most MM cartridges. I ran a 2.5mV MC cartridge at 70 dB gain and used the high output RCA jacks but there was very little volume attentuation available because the signal level was so high. The JD9 is really a low output MC preamp in that regard.

I have no way to measure output so you may be correct that the levels aren't quite as high as stated. But the gain is huge nonetheless and may, in fact, be just as stated. Hopefully Jolida will respond to your inquiry and the question will be answered definitively.

Tom

analog97

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2008, 05:20 pm »
I'm not arguing against your assumption but the gain is so high at the 95 dB setting using a 2.5mV cartridge that I cannot play an album because the signal levels cause the amp to distort.

Tom, I'm not surprised.  The math says that you were presenting 140 Volts to the amp!!!  All I can conclude is the Jolida specs are incorrect.  Maybe that is why an answer has not been forthcoming.   But it does sound like the Jolida has a wopping amount of gain!!

tubesforever

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2008, 10:37 pm »
If you are referring to the Jolida JD9A the values they advertise are straight on the mark.  With my purely passive preamp I could run the volume higher than I can with my Clarinet and Cornet2 combination.

The problem with OP amp gain is that I could never relax and feel like I was there at a live performance.  While it was not a completely mid fidelity product it could also sound awefully two dimensional.

A solid 3D representation, timbral accuracy and inner detail are things that help me feel like I am there at the performance.  The Jolida just did not do it for me in spite of that remarkable gain. 

My Audio Research PH-3 provided better bass and a great deal more detail than the Jolida and used it cost just a couple hundred more.

The Cornet2 beat up the AR  PH-3 really bad.  While the C2 has a little less bass slam you can hear a great deal of inner detail, clarity, and naturalness to the sound that the Jolida never fleshed out.  .

I will be writing a review of my Cornet2 in the future.  I would recommend not getting too ruffled about the Jolida specs.  They are right and the equipment might not work in some systems because of the high gain.