making beer at home the easy way

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: making beer at home the easy way
« Reply #40 on: 9 Feb 2009, 08:44 pm »
Hello BobM and kyrill,

Airspace doesn't matter in a fermenter. The CO2 given off by the yeast will displace the air and keep the fermenting beer safe.

The airlock will allow the CO2 to escape and prevent air from coming back in.

My comment about empty space has nothing to do with the quality, it has everything to do with the quantity that you will come out with. If you're going to do this then you should maximize your time and effort.  :beer: :dance:

Bob

Hey Bob, you wouldn't know of any NY RAVER's that brew their own beer specifically for a RAVE,,, would ya? :drool: You had me at the word "quantity". :lol:

Now instead of power cords, let's do a home brew shootout, the more samples the better. :thumb:

Just love them high rez pictures kryill, I need to make up a coffee to get my mind off that jug. :beer:

Cheers,
Robin

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #41 on: 9 Feb 2009, 09:53 pm »
Maybe I should send some of my Belgian Dark Strong up to the next rave.  At 11.3% ABV, it will make ANYTHING sound good.

My brother who is used to drinking 'session' beers downed one in about 10 minutes, filled his goblet with another... by the time he was halfway through that one, he almost fell over getting out of his chair!!

Did I mention it goes down easy?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #42 on: 9 Feb 2009, 10:12 pm »
Maybe I should send some of my Belgian Dark Strong up to the next rave.  At 11.3% ABV, it will make ANYTHING sound good.

My brother who is used to drinking 'session' beers downed one in about 10 minutes, filled his goblet with another... by the time he was halfway through that one, he almost fell over getting out of his chair!!

Did I mention it goes down easy?

Did I mention that I was easy? :wine: :lol:

JP78

« Reply #43 on: 14 Apr 2009, 06:58 am »
any updates? or has kyrill been tipsy for the past two months? ;)

kyrill

« Reply #44 on: 14 Apr 2009, 07:44 am »
hi\
Beer making is a patient process
It takes ( in my case) 5- 7 days first fermenting
then move the liquid to a second container for another 2 weeks ( sometimes 3 when i postpone it)
leaving behind the layer of yeast on the bottom of the  glass carboy.

then after the 2nd fermentation you bottle it and it needs a minimum of a week -10 days in the bottles, but it will
taste much better after a month or longer in a bottle.

My last batch is 14 ltrs and is now in the bottling phase ( must do it today) when i wait too long
you may taste the dead yeast ( autolyse) which has time to die and share its odor (H2S  smell) with
the beer. It will not kill you but it tastes not nice.

The previous batch i killed somehow, dont know how. I smelled  H2S in a terrible way. The yeast was from "west Malle"beer ( a Belgian tripple, my favorite) I waited for 2 months in the bottles but the taste although a lot less was still too much for me.

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
« Reply #45 on: 14 Apr 2009, 12:05 pm »

Hey Bob, you wouldn't know of any NY RAVER's that brew their own beer specifically for a RAVE,,, would ya? :drool: You had me at the word "quantity". :lol:

Now instead of power cords, let's do a home brew shootout, the more samples the better. :thumb:

Just love them high rez pictures kryill, I need to make up a coffee to get my mind off that jug. :beer:

Cheers,
Robin
[/quote]

Man oh man, does this ever bring back memories. I was heavy into brewing up till about 3yrs ago. After about 10yrs it kind of fizzled out for me as a hobby. The whole brewing process is very time consuming & can be stressfull at times (when things didn't go right & a whole batch was ruined)  :duh:

I did however become very, very good at formulating recipes & brewing outstanding brews. I got to the point that I had to start making large batches. I had a machine shop fabricate an empty keg into a brew pot so I could make 10 gallons at a shot. I would have to go outside & use a King Cooker to fire that baby up. I also gave up on bottles & I got to the point that I would filter the brew & keg it in 5 gallon stainless kegs. Damn, I'm starting to get thirsty!!!  :drool:

In all my years of brewing I never lost an A/B challenge againt any beer that my friends would bring for a drink-off. I would bring a double tap set up to run two different brews at BBQ's & parties. It just got to the point of being in such high demand that I was going crazy & I had to really slow down. I ended up just making the brews for home & ran it off a tap in my downstairs fridge.

I still have most of the equipment just in case I want to jump back in & do some more brewing!!!  :thumb:   

sts9fan

« Reply #46 on: 14 Apr 2009, 12:16 pm »
This weekend I am planting four types of hops.  I dug a great high light garden in my backyard this year.  I know not to expect much this first year as the roots take hold but I am excited anyway.  Figured it was the most fun legal plant I could grow.  I have Nugget, Cascade, Mt Hood and Magnum. 

turkey

« Reply #47 on: 30 Apr 2009, 03:37 pm »
least a week and secondary a couple.  Then you give a couple of weeks bottle/keg conditioning.  Also keep in mind that you aren't going to get carbination in 2 days (even with CO2) just sitting in the fridge.  I use a 10lb CO2 bottle and it takes closer to a week to get properly carbonated if I don't shake it about and force carb it.

The fermenter has a pressure gauge on it. I would assume that they get carbonation during fermentation and then the bottles are just the equivalent of a growler you take home from a brewpub.

Dunno how well that works... :)

turkey

« Reply #48 on: 30 Apr 2009, 03:41 pm »
today i carefully siphoned the beer from the carboy into the beermachine which has a Co2 cilinder apparatus integrated, so you can pressure it to to 15 psi max. It was a nerve breaking exercise. I

Ah. That explains it. Guess I should have read the entire thread before commenting.

Hmmm... guess I should have read the dates on the first posts too.  :duh:

AprilZer

« Reply #49 on: 4 Jun 2009, 06:35 am »
I think can my own beer ,.,I will make a try of it.,

macwilson

« Reply #50 on: 12 Oct 2009, 06:44 am »
If I listen the word beer ? My mouth starts watering. Your post is very nice. I will try install at my home also. Thanks for sharing with us. Keep smiling.....bye...