Oh no Hard Drive crashed

Antman27

Oh no Hard Drive crashed
« on: 12 Feb 2008, 09:57 pm »
Hello all so my external HD with 8 years of pix and about 7000 songs crashed -
Someone was telling me they have herd of some software I can install on my PC that will alow me to connect my Ipod to my PC and reverse -put the songs back on the PC

Is this true ?? If so what is it !!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Oh no Hard Drive crashed
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2008, 10:42 pm »
You never had all that material backed up? Cardinal sin my friend,,, never depend on 1 hard drive for anything important. A hard drive, like any computer part, has a lifesapn and won't last forever. I've had friends that have had their hard drive info retrieved after a crash but i know nothing about it. Hopefully someone here does. I have over 3000 albums on my hard drive,,,, on my 2 hard drives that is. and when 1 fails, I'll have another one there yesterday to takes it's place as a library backup!.

Cheers(and good luck),
Robin

Antman27

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2008, 10:44 pm »

cliffy

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2008, 11:19 pm »
You never had all that material backed up? Cardinal sin my friend,,, never depend on 1 hard drive for anything important. A hard drive, like any computer part, has a lifesapn and won't last forever. I've had friends that have had their hard drive info retrieved after a crash but i know nothing about it. Hopefully someone here does. I have over 3000 albums on my hard drive,,,, on my 2 hard drives that is. and when 1 fails, I'll have another one there yesterday to takes it's place as a library backup!.

Cheers(and good luck),
Robin

A couple of years ago I had a hard drive on a laptop and a home computer fail.  Look for a computer disaster recovery company near you.  I live in the SF Bay Area so I had no problem finding one.  Unfortunately, it cost about $900, per occurrence :o 

They don't give discounts just because the drive hasn't been dropped from a 10 story building, run over by a truck, submerged in the ocean and set on fire.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2008, 11:33 pm »

Cheers(and good luck),
Robin

A couple of years ago I had a hard drive on a laptop and a home computer fail.  Look for a computer disaster recovery company near you.  I live in the SF Bay Area so I had no problem finding one.  Unfortunately, it cost about $900, per occurrence :o 

They don't give discounts just because the drive hasn't been dropped from a 10 story building, run over by a truck, submerged in the ocean and set on fire.

Yea, that's what I thought but $900???? I don't think so.  :thumbdown: Personally it makes life a whole lot easier to simply invest in a second, third, fourth,,, as many hard drives as it takes to insure that all your eggs aren't in 1 basket. I have 4 hard drives at the moment, running out of USB ports and I'm reaching the point where I'll need to consolidate them into a Media Center.  :dance:

Cheers,
Robin

Double Ugly

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2008, 02:28 am »
SpinRite is an exceptional program, but I don't know if it'll help you after the fact.  Maybe you can load it on a functioning HD and retrieve the information from the one that has died.

Regardless, it's a great way to prepare for (and even stave off) the inevitable crash, especially if you're remiss in backing up your data. 

It sure beats paying $900 to have someone else recover it for you.  :o

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2008, 03:02 am »
Hey!

Oh! Crap that remind me that I didn't do my monthly back up this month yet!  :duh:

Yes, I back up my stuff on 2 external HDDs.... one is a back up HDD to back up the main back up HDD ... uhhh well you get the idea :lol:

About 2 years ago my HDD in my PowerBook die. But luckily I backed up every thing on those 2 external HDDs. So, I didn't loose much. Otherwise I would loose all those photos files and that would have been a disaster for me. :?

And of course for a safe measure. I'm planning to replace the main back up HDD when it reach 5 year old. Well, these things are getting  cheaper every day so I can't see why not for a piece of mind. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb: