Sunshine

Ears

Sunshine
« on: 11 Feb 2008, 12:18 am »
I had never even heard of this movie but rented the Blu-ray and found it to be quite a good Sci Fi movie.
I would give it 4 stars.

Anyone else seen this one?

Cacophonix

Re: Sunshine
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2008, 12:34 am »
I caught this movie a couple of weeks back, and found it to be very good. 4 stars from me too.  :thumb:

Toka

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2008, 01:01 am »
What a coincidence, I just watched this today. Thought it was near-legend 2/3 of the way through, but when...

**Spoiler! But you shouldn't be reading a thread about a film if you haven't seen it anyway...**

The sunburned-zombie killing machine showed up, the film became what it had mocked just an hour before ("if we split up, the aliens will kill us one by one"). I had just wanted a bit more character development up until that point, but when that happened, things went pretty sideways. It just didn't make sense based on the narrative that had been presented. Much like Event Horizon (only done better here), it was a great premise that gave way to convention. Still...visually, thematically, and (especially) sonically (Underworld are great), it was fantastic. I'm a picky bastard and this nearly did it for me. A bit more deliberate pacing in the beginning, and a bit more "real" threat at the climax and it would have been poi-fect.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2008, 02:03 am »
What a coincidence, I just watched this today. Thought it was near-legend 2/3 of the way through, but when...

**Spoiler! But you shouldn't be reading a thread about a film if you haven't seen it anyway...**

The sunburned-zombie killing machine showed up, the film became what it had mocked just an hour before ("if we split up, the aliens will kill us one by one"). I had just wanted a bit more character development up until that point, but when that happened, things went pretty sideways. It just didn't make sense based on the narrative that had been presented. Much like Event Horizon (only done better here), it was a great premise that gave way to convention. Still...visually, thematically, and (especially) sonically (Underworld are great), it was fantastic. I'm a picky bastard and this nearly did it for me. A bit more deliberate pacing in the beginning, and a bit more "real" threat at the climax and it would have been poi-fect.

Solid movie, I agree with Toka on this one.

DeanSheen

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2008, 03:28 am »
I loved the movie but was irked by the science.

So many things, but especially the oxygen scenario and the way the "accident" hapend.

Still a quite good movie.  I actually watched about 25 minutes of it with the scientist doing the commenting so I could figure out how they came up with the sun part of the plot.

I agree with the 4 stars.

Ears

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2008, 02:15 am »
I was thinking more like 2001 with an actual ending than Event Horizon.
Even though the computer voice was female, it spoke like Hal and the pacing was about the same as well as the crews demeanor.

Ears

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2008, 02:25 am »
The more than sunburned zombie apparently thought of himself as a profit.
They did leave an opening for this when they calculated for how long that crew could stay alive after getting the distress signal, but I have to admit that part took me buy suprise unlike most movies where the plot is transparent well before that point.

Bigfish

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2008, 02:28 am »
I watched Sunshine with my wife 3 or 4 weeks ago.  My wife usually does not like Science Fiction but she actually watched and enjoyed this movie.  I thought it was very good and highly recommend this one!

Ken

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2008, 06:30 am »
Saw it.
Liked it.
Agree with Toka and all of you.
Visually wonderful but not fully thought out.
Always been a sucker for decent sci-fi.
Wasn't this the same director who did Trainspotting?

nonoise