Bypass Caps

bluesky

Bypass Caps
« on: 10 Feb 2008, 12:51 am »
Good morning gentlmen,

I am assembling a GK-1 and Aksa N+s' for a good friend of mine and would like to hear about other people's take on the use of bypass caps in these projects.

I got some 4.7uF film caps ages ago from Apex Jr, a surplus supplier in the States and will put these in the power supply.  Another retired electrician friend gave me some ERO MKT's which I will put across the 120uF tube caps.

I am now pondering sourcing some MKT 1822's as bypass caps for some the 100uF and 47uF electros elsewhere but would like to hear from anyone before outlaying any (of someone else's money) on these parts.

By the way I have also installed some teflon tube sockets and I'm intrigued to know if these will make any difference to the sonics.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bluesky

andyr

Re: Bypass Caps
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2008, 08:48 am »

By the way I have also installed some teflon tube sockets and I'm intrigued to know if these will make any difference to the sonics.

Bluesky

Hi bluesky,

Teflon tube sockets eh ... where did you buy these?  I ordered special ceramic tube sockets from Mr Percy when I built my GK-1 but I hadn't heard of teflon tube sockets!  :D

I'm sure they will be positive to the sonics, not negative, but it's hard to estimate by how much without listening!  :D  Then again, it's hard to comprehend how a change to a different volume control could make a radical improvement to the sound of the GK-1 ... but the TKD stepped attenuator sure did!  :o

Good luck with the build!  :D

Regards,

Andy