Doh!!! Made a big boo-boo...

JoshK

« on: 2 Oct 2003, 03:53 pm »
I royally screwed the pooch!  :cry:  :cry:   I biffed my brand new cart when I was re-aligning my tonearm the other day.  Not exactly sure how it happened but my stylus got bend to the side a bit.   I tried to operate surgically with a magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers but now the image is dramactically to the left and the actual needle points to the side a bit.  

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this or know some good restorers?

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2003, 10:30 pm »
Josh,

That is bad news. I have done something similar where I bent the stylus tube and it snapped off when trying to straighten it out. It was of course a moving coil and trash at that point. :(

Does your cartridge have a replacable stylus assembly? I'm guessing not since you posted asking about a rebuild. Klaus at Odyssey knows someone who rebuilds cartridges but I have no idea of the costs. I'd give him a call.

Mike G.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 3 Oct 2003, 02:11 pm »
I was able to conduct more surgery last night, using very small amounts of pressure with a pair of tweezers and I was able to correct the problem.  I am sure there will always be that linger in the back of my mind of whether it is 100% of its potential now but it still sounds really good.  

I had accidentally caught the needle with my cuff of my shirt as I was going to change sides.  That really hurts!

pretzel_logic

Dyna is pretty good about replacements.
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2003, 10:47 pm »
I have always been a bit scared of doing what you did with my 10x4.  I have heard that Dynavector is good about replacing damaged carts.  Talk to your dealer about it.  I would be afraid of damaging my LP's using a slightly bent stylus but good luck.

Brian