musical fidelity phono stage - advice please

Rocket

« on: 2 Oct 2003, 06:24 am »
hi,

i've recently traded an amp for a rega 2 with the rb300 tonearm and a stanton cartridge.

i've just sold a nad pp1 phonostage as the sound quality was poor imo.

i may be able to buy a musical fidelity xlps phonostage which is being sold by the australian distributor.  it is a runout sale.

after my experience with the nad phono can anyone please let me know if they have heard the musical fidelity phono and what there impressions were.  the musical fidelity has had good press but so did the nad.

regards

rocket

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2003, 01:12 pm »
Rocket,

The MF does not sound bad but there are certainly better phono stages you can get in the same price range, although you said you were getting a deal on one.

I own the MF XLP-S and had the opportunity to compare it to a Hagerman Bugle.  The Bugle was, IMO, much better sounding in nearly all areas. This is a DIY project, so it may not be an option for you but if you don't mind DIY you can have a very nice phono pre for not much $$.

I'm sure others will offer up other alternatives as well.  :D

Mike G.

Rocket

phono advice
« Reply #2 on: 3 Oct 2003, 12:49 am »
hi mike,

thanks for your advice.

i have been looking at the bugle but was put off by diy and battery power supply.  although i am aware there is a power supply now available for the unit.

it would probably cost me about $400au with a fair bit of hassle.

i can probably buy the musical fidelity for $400au as they are having a runout sale at the moment.

i was also looking at the gram amp se phonostage (made in the uk) and creek obh 8.

i will have a think about your suggestion.

regards

rocket

Rocket

hi
« Reply #3 on: 3 Oct 2003, 03:47 am »
hi mike,

you probably think i'm nuts but i just ordered the mf phonostage.  it was too good a deal to pass up.

as long as it has a good sound i'll be happy with it.  my friend has one and he is very happy with it.  i actually sold him my nad pp1 and he said the mf was much better.

at $400 i can't buy much in australia for that.  

regards

rocket

btw do you know anything about the project range of tt's.  they oem build the music hall tt's and the project range in australia is quite affordable when compared to the music hall once i include customs and gst.

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 3 Oct 2003, 04:10 am »
Rod,

I haven't had any direct experience with the Project gear but it should be very comparable to the Music Hall stuff. I have a MMF-5 which is OK. There are things I dislike about it, in particular the motor, but it still sounds pretty good. IMO a good bang for the buck.

The MF phono is not that bad, it was just that the Bugle was quite a bit better. Admittedly the Bugle I listened to was built with very good parts and very little (if any) expense spared.

I did replace the output coupling caps in the MF with some BlackGate NX. It has a pair of electrolytic caps on the output and the BG's were only about USD $7.00 each, inexpensive enough to justify them IMO. They made a nice improvement once they were broken in, which can take a while. I also ended up replacing some electrolytics on the input with metalized polypropylene. I was able to use these as the originals were only 10uF. I ended up spending about $30 on all the new caps and thought the improvements justified the cost.

Mike G.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2003, 04:20 am »
One thing to keep an eye out for might be the beefier power supply for the MF X-components--

This particular dealer has one listed for $275 US (which seems quite high), but you might find one cheaply on eBay or elsewhere.

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2003, 04:50 am »
Hi Rocket
You mention that you had a NAD PP-1.
Have you heard the NAD PP-2?
I notice that Ken Kessler raved about it.

Rocket

phonostage advice
« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2003, 08:49 am »
hi,

mgalushu,

if you don't mind i will contact you in a few months and find out the exact details of your mods to the mf.  are you good at diy electronics?

i was thinking about importing an music hall mmf7 but i'm coming to the conclusion that with taxes and shipping costs it isn't worth it unless i can obtain a super deal.  i can buy a project rpm6 for $1200 au with is the retail price but i think i could buy it for a little less.  it looks really funky.

tono,

interestingly i actually had the mf psu and xpre which i sold about 2 years ago.  to be honest i actually couldn't hear any difference between using the psu and the wall wart units  (may'be i'm deaf  :lol: ).  it would be good to have one if i could pick one up on the cheap.  i sold my old one to a friend for $450 au which is less than half price.

malcolm,

i have never heard the pp2.  i was thinking of buying one but with my experience of the pp1 i was put off.  the pp1 also received good reviews but i thought it was dull, lifeless and boring.  i actually listened to it once put it back in the box and sold it for $100 au.

i'll post my thoughts on the mf phono in a week or so.  thanks for the advice  :D

regards

rocket

Rocket

phonostage update
« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2003, 10:20 am »
hi guys,

well i contacted the hifi store today regarding the musical fidelity xps to find out if it had arrived.  unfortunately the importer sent an mf headphone amp and not the phonostage, he made a mistake  :( .

upon searching his warehouse he stated there were none available in australia.  apparently mf are replacing this phonostage with a new updated version and with different styling.

anyway i have been offered a deal which i'm going to take.

i have been offered the use of a perreaux "SXV1" Phono Preamplifier  (brand new), if i like it i can buy it for the same price as i was offered the mf phonostage at.  apparently the perreaux is supposed to be better sounding  :?: .

i am enquiring if anyone has heard this phonostage and if they could post some impressions.

luckily a friend has a musical fidelity phonostage and we are going to compare both products on my system.  if i don't like the perreaux i have been told i can return it in november and buy the new mf phonostage at the same price.  i really can't go wrong.  here is a link : http://www.perreaux.com/product.php?idp=47

regards

rocket