Warrior 15" cross-over point experiment

JeffB

Warrior 15" cross-over point experiment
« on: 4 Feb 2008, 07:52 pm »
I just thought I would report on my latest experiment.
I have been pretty happy with the Warrior 15" crossed over at 150Hz.
However, in a recent experiment I moved the cross-over to 200Hz to take some burden off a 3" Tang Band in an attempt to get better mid bass dynamics.

This setting does not work well at all.  It seems as though the slightly more rapid cone movement generates considerably more baffle vibration.
It just seems like bass distortion goes up about 10 fold.  It also sounds like I get a lot more echo off the front wall and that the speakers would require being placed further into the room.

There is a sense of greatly increased mid-bass over the 3" driver in this region, but with greatly increased distortion.
Madison sells the Warrior 15 in cabs with compression drivers, so I figure they must cross them over around 1 to 2 kHz in these cabs.
So, I think the driver is capable.

I think a very secure magnet mount might be required.
I just mounted straight to the board.
I guess the higher the cross-over point, the faster the cone has to move, and the more vibration control comes into play.

I also don't have the best seal of the driver to the board.  I did not cut the roundest of holes with my Saber saw.  A couple of the screws did not secure well and there might even be the a very tiny air gap.  Although, it seems good enough and works well at 150Hz.

ttan98

Re: Warrior 15" cross-over point experiment
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2008, 11:00 pm »
As you said 15" woofer can be crossed at around 1.5-2kHz, refer to warrior 2 way system or Emerald physics CS2 whose cross-over  between the 15" woofer and compression driver is at 1.5Khz. CS2 speakers sound very good though.

It now boils down to whether your 15" woofer can do that, most 15" woofers are break up(ie rising response) early around 2-4Khz, hence you need to use a steep filter to remove them. CS2 uses a steep filter just to do that ie LR4. PI speakers use a different technique which I am not familar with.
Your woofer most likely exhibits the same behaviour.

Just a thought I like to share.

JANDG

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2008, 03:18 pm »
Can you post a pic..?
I disagree on the mag mount & you will be fine with not so perfect holes or seal on flat panel. What kind of XO, order etc..I would suspect you need XO much higher with that 3" driver. & are you HP the 3" also.?
I suspect your problem lies in your xo,

JeffB

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2008, 06:53 pm »
I'll see if I can post a picture, but it won't be till next week.