Height of Silver Iris off the floor?

greg7

Height of Silver Iris off the floor?
« on: 4 Feb 2008, 10:15 am »
I've got a pair of Silver Iris drivers on the way. Unfortunately I'll be gone on business for a while. However, I can get the baffles built in the meantime.

Question: if my seated listening ear height is 32-33" from the floor, how high should I cut the hole (center of the diameter) in the baffle for the Silver Iris driver? And what diameter hole do I need?

stereogeek

Re: Height of Silver Iris off the floor?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2008, 12:40 pm »
Greg-

My own SI baffles are 24" tall and the bottom edge or the driver is 3" off the floor.They are tilted back 15 degrees,so they are aimed at my listening position.Putting them that low raises the bass and the tilt raises the soundstage.You may want to check the Hawthorne Audio forum for other ideas.

Steve :D

nodiak

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2008, 05:10 pm »
Because it seems you mainly want to be able to come home and have them ready to play (without over thinking it) I would suggest making baffles that are 20" wide x 36" high, with the driver edge about 2" from the top of baffle (= centered at 19"). That gives the builder some numbers. From there listen for a couple weeks and decide if you want more or less bass. Lowering them adds bass, and places soundstage lower. Wings add midbass but affect the mids and imaging too. Raising them lessens bass, may be desired for blending to sub or to put image where you want. So you would add or subtract to baffle to taste, or make new baffles. Imo - try not to read the forums during this so your reactions are your own (there, I said it).
All depends on your room and what you want to hear (#1), there is no generic solution but still most SI users end up with 18-20" wide baffles, and height to taste. As with any OB there is also a big dif. in distance to wall behind them as to reflections/timing of frontwave to rearwave. Then theres room treatment...
Just live with them until you can notice effects of speaker placement and room effects then try some of the posted solutions if you want. Just depends how far you want to get into it.
Solutions are all over the place, I'm just trying to help you get started, in a year you may have a completely unique solution.
Driver cutout is 13.75"
Don
« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2008, 07:31 pm by nodiak »

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2008, 09:28 pm »
Don has given good advice. All I can add is that you should put some padding at least on the back of the baffle to help eliminate some coloration from sound bouncing off the back of the baffle. This will help you to hear whats really going on. Foam rubber, thick felt, carpet, quilting or foam carpet backing all work well.

Try making your first baffle so that it can be turned upside down. This will allow you to hear what both a high and a low driver position will sound like without having to build a new one.

Dave :)