Best Led Zeppelin boxed set?

rajacat

• Washington State
Best Led Zeppelin boxed set?
« on: 4 Feb 2008, 04:03 am »
I'm looking for advice on which Led Zeppelin boxed set has the best sound quality. Performance quality is important too but recording quality is paramount. I prefer live concerts.

Thanks,

-Roy

Gordy

Re: Best Led Zeppelin boxed set?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2008, 04:14 am »
The live 3 cd set "How The West Was Won" is my favorite, both musically and for SQ.  No small surprise that I think the '72/73 tour was their best as well!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2008, 04:47 am »
The live 3 cd set "How The West Was Won" is my favorite, both musically and for SQ.  No small surprise that I think the '72/73 tour was their best as well!

Hmmm....I can remember, somewhat clearly :lol:, attending a Zeppelin concert at Kezar stadium in San Francisco back in those days. There was so much havoc at that concert, I suspect that no recording took place. The music was so loud that it bounced off of the stone and concrete houses on the outside for a very weird effect. aa

-Roy

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2008, 04:58 am »
For "live" Zeppelin...."How The West Was Won" is the pick. :wink:

Samples and review...

Also....their newest release, "Mothership" is a very good sounding collection of their recordings.

Samples and review...

(allmusic takes awhile to load... :roll: )

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2008, 03:39 pm »
The 45 rpm LP boxset from Classic Records. Every Led Zeppelin album from 1969 thru 1982, remastered on single sided 45 rpm 12" 200 gram vinyl. Each album covers 4-8 discs and the collection comes in a carry case. I think it's out of print now, but check eBay and other collectible sites.

ratso

« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2008, 05:01 pm »

"Also....their newest release, "Mothership" is a very good sounding collection of their recordings."

- not a zep fan but i read that "mothership" was listed as being one of the offenders in the 'loudness wars' controversy...

nlange20

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2008, 03:18 am »

"Also....their newest release, "Mothership" is a very good sounding collection of their recordings."

- not a zep fan but i read that "mothership" was listed as being one of the offenders in the 'loudness wars' controversy...

Agreed. I have the "Deluxe" versions with the DVD, and the CD's themself are remastered terribly.

I own the "new" releases of 1-4, the 1994 reissue of 1-4, and the 1980's issued 1-4 CD's and the earliest (80's) versions are by far the best in regards to SQ. It took me almost two months to hunt down and find all the 80's issued LZ CD's, but it was well worth it.

The 1994 issued CD's aren't bad, and are significantly better than the "newer" issued LZ CD's.

-Nick  :D

IronLion

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2008, 03:47 am »
The Steve Hoffman Forum has a (somewhat) raging debate on the original 1980's CD's (Barry Diament mastered) and 1990 box CD's (George Marino mastered).

The Diaments (1980's) have more realistic sounding cymbals and a better balance between instruments, better dynamics but are a bit murky and hissy. These are much closer to the original LP. The Marinos (1990-forward) are a bit compressed and EQ boosted but are cleaner sounding. Those are the ones in the older box sets. Mothership is apparently compressed and boosted even more.

I have both and each have different strengths and weaknesses. If you can handle the murk then seek out the originals but they are jumping in price on the used market due to increased demand.

As far as I can tell the consenus there is II and HOTH on the original CD's sound best.

Barry Diament does post in that forum.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2008, 09:35 am »

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2008, 12:24 am »
I have this box set, and it sure sounds good to me. 

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Studio-Recordings-Led-Zeppelin/dp/B000002IWP/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1203305449&sr=8-1

This is the box that I have and it does sound good. The booklets are cool, too. It might be worth your while to pick it up used. I am afraid that any more "remastering" will not benefit these recordings. What can they do to "improve" them? Noise Reduction can "bleach" recordings, compression diminishes dynamics, boosting the high end can makes them sound crispy. These are old recordings not always made or stored with the best of care. Once you get the best source that's most of the battle. Beyond that there is only so much you can do to improve the SQ.

BradJudy

« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2008, 12:35 am »
FWIW, most of the LZ stuff is on yourmusic.com for $7/disc including the mentioned "Complete Studio Recordings" for $70 instead of the Amazon $125.
 http://www.yourmusic.com/browse/album/Led-Zeppelin--The-Complete-Studio-Recordings-13510.html?cname=BROWSE_DISCO_1205_ALBUMS

Hicks

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2008, 05:51 pm »
I'm all about this one, I really dig the remaster job Page did and the track order is outstanding too. 

I think it's one of the best selling box sets of all time. 

ebag4

« Reply #13 on: 22 Feb 2008, 06:04 pm »
Have to agree with Jason on this one, I am enjoying it now!

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #14 on: 24 Nov 2008, 08:25 pm »
I have the Complete Studio recordings collection which works just fine...  The Mothership 180g 4 LP set is quite nice, and for a limited collection, the song selection is quite good...  The DVD they came out with a couple of years ago sounds pretty damn good.  I saw that there is going to be a new Japanese pressing of all of their albums on SHM-discs.  I haven't heard them specifically, but I have Whitesnakes S/T 87' album on SHM and there is a significant improvement over the lame sound that the original pressing of that album had.  i would take a stab at the SHM version of one of your favorite Zep albums...  If you find the improvement that you were looking for then you have the perfect edition ... Look on CD Japan,  I got a Japanese pressing of Metallica's Black Album, that sounds pretty good too.  Believe you me, there is a difference between Japanese and American pressings...  They shoot for the highest quality replication of the gold master as possible.... In America, not so much... That and also you get b-sides and bonus tracks!

kenreau

« Reply #15 on: 26 Nov 2008, 06:24 pm »
I have the Complete Studio recordings collection which works just fine...  The Mothership 180g 4 LP set is quite nice, and for a limited collection, the song selection is quite good...  The DVD they came out with a couple of years ago sounds pretty damn good.  I saw that there is going to be a new Japanese pressing of all of their albums on SHM-discs.  I haven't heard them specifically, but I have Whitesnakes S/T 87' album on SHM and there is a significant improvement over the lame sound that the original pressing of that album had.  i would take a stab at the SHM version of one of your favorite Zep albums...  If you find the improvement that you were looking for then you have the perfect edition ... Look on CD Japan,  I got a Japanese pressing of Metallica's Black Album, that sounds pretty good too.  Believe you me, there is a difference between Japanese and American pressings...  They shoot for the highest quality replication of the gold master as possible.... In America, not so much... That and also you get b-sides and bonus tracks!

Could I trouble you to provide a link to the Japanese release website(s) you use?

Thanks,
Kenreau

a1p1

« Reply #16 on: 26 Nov 2008, 06:49 pm »
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=WPCR-13142

Does anyone know if the U.S. version is SHM pressing as well?

TimS

« Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2008, 08:16 pm »
I'm thinking about buying a used 'Complete Studio Recordings' but am not sure whether it is the earlier 1980's release or the 1990's release.  Is there anyway to tell from the album covers - are they identical?

thanks

The Steve Hoffman Forum has a (somewhat) raging debate on the original 1980's CD's (Barry Diament mastered) and 1990 box CD's (George Marino mastered).

The Diaments (1980's) have more realistic sounding cymbals and a better balance between instruments, better dynamics but are a bit murky and hissy. These are much closer to the original LP. The Marinos (1990-forward) are a bit compressed and EQ boosted but are cleaner sounding. Those are the ones in the older box sets. Mothership is apparently compressed and boosted even more.

I have both and each have different strengths and weaknesses. If you can handle the murk then seek out the originals but they are jumping in price on the used market due to increased demand.

As far as I can tell the consenus there is II and HOTH on the original CD's sound best.

Barry Diament does post in that forum.

jeenam

« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2008, 06:23 am »

Never realized how amazing they were til I heard this. Gotta agree. Great sound quality, but even more importantly showcasing them in their performing prime. It must have been electric to be at those shows. And goddamn Bohnam could play drums.

Tbadder1

« Reply #19 on: 19 Dec 2008, 03:56 am »
Does anyone know if the U.S. version is SHM pressing as well?
[/quote]

I own the newest version.  i believe it's SHM.  It simply blows away other versions.  (I know, I sell them all).  The problem is there's little or bonus tracks, although you do get every alternative album cover for what it's worth.