Using American gear in Australia

bluesky

« on: 1 Oct 2003, 10:28 pm »
Hi Guys

I was just wondering if anyone has used gear from America either with an adapter (which doesn't appeal) or has built an appropriate power supply to use the Australian voltage?

I guess eveyone must have looked at Ebay and Audiogon and seen something they would like.  In my case a second hand Technics SL1200 turntable.  I would just like to dip my toe in the analogue pond before committing to an expensive turntable.  And yes, I have checked out Ebay Australia but have never found anything worthwhile that is affordable.

One last thing I have thought of for awhile, is a group buy of Eichmann bullets, anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cheers, Ian
Brisbane

EchiDna

« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2003, 11:19 pm »
I've used a lot of US and Asian electronics in Oz and all you need is a step up/down transformer of the appropriate capacity. What these would do for your sound quality one can only guess though....
You could always buy you second hand stuff from places like Hong Kong and Singapore which also have the same 220-240 power as Australia. Typical resale value of items here (singapore) is about 30% of new!

bluesky

« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2003, 01:09 am »
Echidna

Wow!  30% of new price sounds great but how to access these bargains?

This would be ideal for someone in my position who wants to try analogue but doesn't want to spend a fortune.  I don't mind paying Australian retail if it's going to be the last turntable or CD player I intend buying but in this case I just want a decent turntable without paying heaps for it.

What I had in mind was to get a cheap Technics SL1200 and try a few mods to see what its like.  Like putting on an RB250/300 and a cartridge. The tonearm which I could use later on in a high end turntable if I chose to pursue analogue further.  The tonearm is also easily resold.  This would be a cost effective to try out analogue and also pursue some mods on the Technics which have intrigued me.  From all that I have read the Technics is reliable and accurate bottom end but suffers from a (relatively) poor tonearm, basically the opposite of the Rega's 2 and 3.  

Cheers, Ian

EchiDna

« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2003, 01:20 am »
cash converters is your friend ;-)

someone here bought a couple of decent Thorens TT's for under AU$20 from memory...

Andy G

yep, all you need is a step-down transformer.
« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2003, 10:48 pm »
My Dynacos run off a pair of stepdowns.

Jaycar sells them: the 100VA version is about $50 and should be more than adequate to drive the Thorens

Rocket

importing hifi gear
« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2003, 11:26 pm »
hi ian,

if you get hit by customs taxes it may not be worth importing.

have you thought about buying a turntable thru ebay uk, the range of turntables is fine.  the uk use the same voltage as australia.

after my last couple of transactions i have come to the conclusion that it may not be worth importing a product into australia unless it is a super deal.

good luck,

rocket

btw what is your timeframe to buy a turntable?  i may have a rega 2 with rb300 (which is the tonearm used in the rega 3) for sale in a month or 2.

sfdoddsy

« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2003, 09:18 am »
I've used lots of equipment using step down transformers, ranging from prepros to power amps. If you get the appropriate one there should be no problems. You could even argue that the sound might be better since the power supply is regulated.

Cheers

Steve

AKSA

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2004, 12:19 am »
Ian, Rod,

Customs import for almost all electronics into Australia is 10% on landed cost (alias the GST) for items under $AUD1K, and for items over, add another $49 'admin' charge.

It really isn't too bad, and if it's under $500 it will come via your local post office.

Cheers,

Hugh

Rocket

import duties
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2004, 01:28 am »
Hi Hugh,

Just read my old post, i actually forgot i posted about this topic.

Anyway i'm finding that import duties and taxes into australia are quite inconsistent.  I don't like using couriers like DHL Express (not because they damage goods are anything like that) because on top of the gst you have to pay a customs fee.  The customs fee i presume is to process the goods in a timely manner.

I recently bought an interconnect and digital cable from The Bolder Company which were on special.  The total cost was about $190au and if i had used a courier i would also have had to pay the custom fee ($80au or thereabouts) and it would have added a fair bit to the cost.  Wayne sent the cables via priority mail and it arrived without any taxes.  (Btw i bought a .75 metre interconnect with 4 bullet plugs for $79au including shipping, usually the bullet plugs alone cost $80au in oz).

I have found that by the time you add the price of the product, shipping and taxes you have to careful that it is still good value.  Sometimes it is better to just go and buy a product from a hifi store.  It just depends.

As an example a couple of months ago i bought a perreaux sxv-1 from a local dealer for $420 au, the normal rrp is $650au and i don't think i could have done any better importing the product.

I did however buy my Bluenote Piccolo turntable (with an okay cartridge supplied) which cost me $1420 au including taxes and shipping.  the dealer in oz was going to sell it to me for $2000au without a cartridge.

As i said before it just depends on the price of the product you are importing.  I definitely have the goods sent by regular airmail as i dislike paying anymore taxes that what i must.

Sorry about the long rant, in the last couple of years i've done a fair amount of importing.

Regards

rod

bubba966

Re: import duties
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2004, 07:25 am »
Quote from: Rocket
I don't like using couriers like DHL Express (not because they damage goods are anything like that)

I won't use DHL for the exact reason that they damaged the goods.

The first (and last) time I ever used DHL they dropped an extremely well packed DVD player (Pioneer DV-S755Ai) so hard that it killed it. Then they only wanted to give me 20% of what it was insured for! Which was a good bit short (80%) of paying for a replacement.

After arguing with them about it for almost 2 months, they'd only give me 40% of the insured value & not charge me for the shipping costs.

So DHL will never get any business from me again, or from anyone I know because of that. :evil:

nigel_pl

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2004, 03:00 pm »
You might find this interesting...

"Here is the kicker. I have had two friends, one working at FedEx and one at UPS in their hubs, while going to college. Both of them explain that the conveyer belts drop packages from 2 feet to 2 stories onto another conveyer belt. It does nto matter how heavy, or if it is marked as fragile, they all do it."

http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=444&highlight=fedex

DSK

« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2004, 01:48 am »
Just came across this thread.

You guys should take a look at:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/index.cfm?nav_id=670&area_id=5

It defines customs/GST payable on goods imported into Australia. One key paragraph is :

"Customs would not collect duty and/or GST where:
the value of the goods does not exceed $1000 for goods imported by post or $250 for goods imported air/sea cargo, other than by post; and
the Customs duty and/or GST liability of the goods does not exceed $50."

USPS Global Express provides the option of insurance (US$1 per US$100 value over US$100) and arrives within approx 6 days...handy for smaller items (eg. cables) ...and no customs/GST if goods value is under A$1000.

Hope this helps.

Rocket

custom fees
« Reply #12 on: 31 Mar 2004, 12:53 pm »
Hi DSK,

You know it is really weird sometimes i am charged with custom fees and sometimes not even if the item is under $1000au and sent by usps.

I received my modwright preamp the other day which was sent by usps and had to pay no tax.

regards

rod

DSK

« Reply #13 on: 31 Mar 2004, 10:23 pm »
Hi Rod,
Over the years, I can only recall two packages that I had to pay customs on, their values were US$1150 and US$2500 and both were via courier. I can't recall ever having had to pay duties on packages below A$1000 that were posted rather than couriered.

Several years back, I think there was a A$400 threshold before duties were payable. But, you shouldn't have been charged duties on "posted" packages of under A$1000 total value in the last few years. If you do, it would be worth investigating.

Cheers,
Darren.