Trying to take good watch pics with basic digital camera

mcgsxr

I have a ton of respect for the excellent pictures I see in threads around here.   Using my basic digital Canon, I find it supremely hard to get good pics of my watches.

Here are my butchered pics of my automatic Oris BC3 on a new Watchadoo stainless bracelet, and my automatic "Hong Kong Ray" PVD on a 4 ring orange Zulu.

How do you get good pics?  Macro function?  Tripod?  No flash?

BradJudy

Re: Trying to take good watch pics with basic digital camera
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2008, 08:07 pm »

How do you get good pics?  Macro function?  Tripod?  No flash?

Yep, whatever close-up mode your camera has (often designated by a flower icon), no flash, natural light (if possible) and don't hold it.  You don't need a tripod, just a surface to set your camera and watch on that works, then use the delayed shutter mode to hit the button and step away from the camera. 

Lighting is often the trickiest thing with macro photos (okay, all photos), so going outside in the sun is usually the easiest option. 

I took this one of my watch using the light coming in from my office window hand-held. 

brj

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2008, 09:53 pm »
Quote from: BradJudy
You don't need a tripod, just a surface to set your camera and watch on that works

A beanbag is one cheap yet effective method of stabilizing a camera.  It doesn't have to be fancy - a couple of heavy duty freezer bags filled with something appropriate would probably work, or even a bag of dried lentils from the grocery store.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2008, 01:54 am »
Hey, thanks for the tips, I appreciate your taking care of your fellow multi afflicted audio geek!

Nice Skagen by the way, cool Euro feel to that piece.

JeffB

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2008, 02:02 am »
The first two watch photos appear to have a focus problem.
Only part of the image is in focus.
So you need a bigger f-stop to put more of the image in focus.
Hopefully macro mode will change the f-stop appropriately.